1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Springsteen to perform at Super Bowl XLIII

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, Aug 12, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Bruce will play just one song during halftime.
    Can't figure out if its going to be Rosalita (w/band intros) or Mary's Place (w/preacher rap) or a cover of Twist & Shout.

2. EStreetJoe

Wouldn't that qualify as a "Language Malfunction"?
    especiailly if he reprises the cunnilingus rap from the Joad tour to introduce Red Headed Woman

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

It seems to me he had a little bit of that before playing "I'm Going Down," on the Magic tour. Can't remember which stop that was at. Something about women liking it or some such.

4. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

It seems to me he had a little bit of that before playing "I'm Going Down," on the Magic tour. Can't remember which stop that was at. Something about women liking it or some such.
    [/quote]
    I'm glad he didn't do that at my stop. I was with my mother.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He won't do a new song unless it's been on the airwaves a few weeks (or wherever newly-released music goes these days).

He might do it if it was a "Bruce Springsteen Concert," where anywhere from about 40 to about 80 % of the audience would be hardcore Tramps, and had been listening to the new song since the day it leaked onto the air.

But at a Super Bowl, where maybe 5-10% of the crowd (the couple hundred people in the pit right in front of the stage) would be hardcores, playing a new song would mean 75,000 people would be standing there glassy-eyed. To say nothing of the national TV audience.

You have to kick off with a song EEEEVVVVVVVERRRYBODY knows. Even "Badlands" would be a bit of a stretch, although I'd guess the huge majority of the audience would know it.

With a little reflection, I'd bet on "Born To Run," "Badlands" and a big wrapup with "Glory Days." (Maybe substituting "The Rising," for some moral uplift, and "Dancing In The Dark" for the party-down finale.)

Boom, boom, boom.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Odd enough, Kid Rock has performed at a Super Bowl halftime show before.

Re: Springsteen, if he doesn't sing "Hungry Heart," the show will be a dud as far as I'm concerned.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

How'd that work out?

Exactly. It sucked.

8. EStreetJoe

Just checked the message board at Backstreets.

One of the reports of the new album out before the Super Bowl comes from a New York City radio station.

Another one, who says the album will be out prior to the Super Bowl and that the Super Bowl could just be a stop along the tour, is one of the more reliable posters.

Keep in mind that last year TP played halftime and then put tickets for his tour onsale the following week (or the next day, can't remember which)

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, I liked that halftime show. Nelly (Hot in Herre), P. Diddy (Mo Money, Mo Problems), Kid Rock (Bawitdaba, Cowboy), Janet Jackson (All For You, Rhythm Nation), J-Timberlake (Rock Your Body) and the wardrobe malfunction.

Of course, the way the NFL is doing halftime shows since then, no one other than men older than 40 or 50 (Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, etc.) may ever grace the stage at Super Bowl halftimes ever again. Which is a shame, because it's getting old seeing the same classic rock show annually. I did love the Prince show, though.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The problem is that you need to get an act that justifies such a prime gig. That means an established artist who isn't going to alienate any demographic. Classic rock is just about the only genre of music which can appeal to a mass audience without some people tuning out because it's stupid (contemporary pop), lame (country), controversial (rap) or nothing but noise (rock).

And it sucks because I like all four of those genres.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Kinda agree. Not sure they need one slam-dunk artist every time, they could do a medley of sorts and pull it off with the right combination, the wardrobe malfunction Super Bowl being one of those examples. I would like to see another woman do the halftime show, just to know the NFL isn't spooked anymore about the Janet Jackson debacle. There's only so many old men they can hire.

That said, the could hire U2 for a Super Bowl halftime show again and I wouldn't complain. Actually, come to think of it, give me the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

12. There goes that Guns N Roses reunion I'd hoped for, perfect venue for that I think <where's the blue font?>

As for Bruce, I'd rather watch Bruce Jenner.

Draft saved Draft deleted