1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Boston group may make bid for Globe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Oct 25, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The shocking thing was the claim in the story that the Globe's lost half its value since the Taylors sold it.

http://www.boston.com/ae/media/articles/2006/10/25/local_group_may_bid_for_globe/?p1=MEWell_Pos5

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Is it really that shocking? Circulation has dropped like a rock. The internet is eating the Globe's lunch (as a WSJ story said last week: "Whatever ails this industry got to Boston first.") They've had several high-profile snafus. And they've gone from being a great, proud, independent local institution to a demoralized shell owned by a company from New York.
    The good news is maybe that NY company is ready to throw in the towel.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If you're a Globie, be-VARE! You don't want Welch within 10 miles of you. I'm not sure who's more contemptible, Neutron Jack or his wife, editor of the Harvard Business Review when she interviewed him , then wrecked his marriage.
    This also explains (AHA!) why Neutron Jack was a frequent guest on NESN's Extra Innings after Red Sox games this year, given the ownership ties between the Globe, Sox and NESN.
    But then again, maybe the current Mrs. Welch will experience karma in the form of Hazel Mae.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Terrier, he can't be any worse than Badass Bob Jelenic.

And STL, I understand circulation has dropped there, but for the paper to lose half its value in 15 years is amazing.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

James Otis wept.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

No worse. But no better either.

Welch revels in dumping people. He buys the Globe and Gordon Edes might be covering the Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics in addition to chipping in on preps.

7. KP

KP Active Member

I can tell you some at NESN were embarrassed every night he was on. The idea that Jack Welch was the voice of "the regular fan" was a slap in the face to many.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This will never happen. Jack Welch may be an SOB, but he was a good enough businessman to see this deal stinks. Imagine buying a newspaper but letting the old owners keep the website. That, by the way, is why Morgan Stanley's appraisal of the Globe was so low. The group wouldn't be buying the whole thing.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Touche, Wicked - I worked for Jelenic for too long. But Jelenic never got the rock star treatment from the business and mainstream press, either.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Michael, the figure still is stunning.

-- 1993: Boston Globe (remember, no boston.com to factor into the equation then) sold for $1.1 billion.
    -- 2006: Boston Globe itself as entity valued at $550 million to $600 million.

To me, things at the Globe started going downhill once Taylor was booted as publisher and the New York people got lots more hands-on.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Welch buying the Globe?

That'd be rich.

Job One: Shift the editorial page 82 miles right of the Wall Street Journal's.

Taxes? Taxes are for the little people . . .

Eat it, Jack.

12. In Exile

In Exile Member

A few Jack facts... Jack Welch is a native of Peabody, Massachusetts and the former CEO of General Electric where he earned the name “neutron Jack” for his ability to eviscerate employees while leaving the company buildings intact. While at GE he lopped off something like 100,000 employees and helped turned GE from a company that made stuff into a company of companies that made a lot of money for their stockholders but didn't make things anymore.
    This wasn’t enough for Jack, because even though was making scads of money, like 90 million a year, he wasn’t famous yet, at least “recognizable-to-the-average-person” famous. So since retiring, he was written scads of books about management and leadership and Jack Welch and GE and tennis and Jack Welch and golf and Jack Welch, and he pops up on all sorts of talking head talk shows talking about the economy and Jack Welch and his books and Jack Welch and stuff like that, penning pithy little sweet nothings like, “I’ve never seen a business ruined by cutting costs too much too fast.” So that’s who Jack Welch is.
    And about that NESN thing. Back in 2002 when old Peabody-born Jack Welch was getting divorced from wife number two and getting taken to the cleaners before marrying wife number three (with whom he wrote a book called, appropriately enough for her, “Winning,”) it turned out that GE supplied Jack Welch with season tickets for the Yankees to go along with his season tickets for the Red Sox. You gotta cover all the bases, right? A week later, when the Security and Exchange Commission started questioning some of those perks, CNN reported that Jack Welch restructured his GE retirement deal and coughed up his Red Sox tickets because, after all, “He's attended just one Boston Red Sox game in the past two years.” BIG fan...of himself.
    As Jack Welch said soon after by way of explanation, “One thing I learned during my years as CEO is that perception matters.” But if I worked at the Globe I'd keep that other quote in mind, the one that goes “I’ve never seen a business ruined by cutting costs too much too fast.”

Draft saved Draft deleted