1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Replacing Kravitz at the Indianapolis Star is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Oct 8, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Gannet possibly. They sent a few Gannet writers to the Olympics. Should be similar interest in US for some of those events.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I read a couple of Pacers blogs - 8 points, 9 seconds and Indy Cornrows - and then whatever AP coverage has on the games. Since Mike Wells left, I don't feel like the Star's coverage provides any particularly interesting insight or information I can't get elsewhere/haven't seen already somewhere else.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Yankee Fan: You might be underestimating what some newspaper columnists have been paid. Randy Galloway, for example, was making more than $250K a number of years ago in Fort Worth.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll get my hat and start the collection.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Holy crap.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If the Pacers don't make the playoffs, I can't fathom why the Star would want to have its lone columnist writing about and traveling for two months to write about the NBA. Not even much bigger newspapers without USA Today content are doing that.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Someone suggested it might be hard for Doyel to get along with Ramos. Actually, Ramos will have to get along with him.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Versatile, when I interviewed for a Gannett SE job in the 1990s, the publisher made it clear they covered a certain pro beat mostly as a service to the company -- the Gannett News Service -- even though the expenditure made little sense for his newspaper's bottom line. He wasn't complaining, he was explaining after I asked him why they were spending the money to cover the team home and away. This may be similar to when Westchester splurged to hire Ian O'Connor, who already was writing columns for the New York Daily News. He not only enhanced Westchester but appeared in USA Today.

BTW, I didn't even know Kravitz had left -- had to Google to learn where he went. We worked together very early in our careers. Good for him.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I think Buckner does a good job on the Pacers.
    I'll read her stuff, Keefer's and Doyel's until the Star throws up its paywall and demands I take a digital subscription.
    At that point, see ya!

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If the Pacers don't make the playoffs, then Doyel gets to spend even more time at the track. By which I mean, Indy 500 during the month of May.

(I love how Hoosiers can be so reductive. A 300,000-seat racing monstrosity is "the track." An 8,000-seat high school basketball facility is "the gym.")

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

@GreggDoyelCBS 3m
    10 am et :) RT @bobandtom: In our post show we talk to new @indystar columnist @GreggDoyelCBS. @jakequery, @Schultz1260 #ColtsRoundTable

To listen: http://www.bobandtom.com/

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Who would be the highest paid sports columnist at a daily in the country? This would be defined as just warnings from the newspaper, not radio shows or national work? Lupica?

Draft saved Draft deleted