1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rep. Pelosi: Impeachment Is Off the Table

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

United Press International

Front Page > UPI Page
    advertisement
    Pelosi: 'Impeachment is off the table'

US House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has pledged not to pursue impeachment of President George W. Bush if Democrats win the November election.
    "Impeachment is off the table," said Pelosi in an interview aired Sunday on CBS "60 Minutes."
    Asked if that was a pledge, Pelosi said it was.
    "Yes, it is a pledge," she said. "Of course it is."
    Pelosi called impeachment "a waste of time," and suggested Republicans -- who have controlled the House for 12 years -- would make political hay out of it if Democrats tried to impeach Bush.
    "Wouldn't they just love it if we came in and our record as Democrats coming forth after 12 years is to talk about George Bush and Dick Cheney? This election is about them. This is a referendum on them. Making them lame ducks is good enough for me."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Saw the interview. I think she should have turned it around and said, "impeach him for what?"

Say what you want about Nancy Pelosi. She seems like a tough broad.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Let's get this out here before a lot of GOP supporters start blathering incoherently...

Impeachment should be the last thing on ANY lawmaker's mind. There are entirely too many more important issues that need to be addressed and resolved right now.

4. Yes, indeed.
    And one of those issues should be extensive investigatiions that fasten the responsibility for recklessness, incompetence, and criminal fraud right where they belong. An impeachment inquiry? Not yet. But not ever? Who in the hell knows? If I'm the D's, and the election swings to them, I'm secujring every paper shredder in the West Wing 10 minutes after the final call on TV.
    If Pelosi really said this, she's being a sucker. Go back and look at the way Tip O'Neill handled the Nixon impeachment talk. He stalled, changed the subject, talked about how he'd have to study up on the thing, and didn't commit himself or the Judiciary committee precipitously.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry Fenian, but let's take care of bigger fires first. Plain and simple. If I hear of even one Democrat on this board suggesting impeachment while Fredo's in office, I'm gonna scream. All that would do is show we're as "committed" as Republicans are, or should be. Let's set a better example by, y'know, actually trying to help Americans.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When she said that, my thought was she should have said they have more important business to attend to for the next two years but leave it open.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They did a piece on her on 60 Minutes last night. One tough politician.

I didn't know she was the daughter of Thomas D'Alesandro, former mayor of Baltiomore.

8. I think investigations into the criminal fraud, waste, and incompetence of the past six years are helping Americans. I thought Harry Truman's war-profiteering investigations in WWII helped Americans. Like it or not, alley, there's a lot of wreckage that has to be cleared as we move forward. If evidence emerges that requires an impeachment, then that's too damn bad.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She's being honest and pragmatic. 1) The country doesn't want to see that. She was smart. By saying, "no way," she probably gained votes for Democracts. 2) Initiating impeachment hearings in a charged environment is possible. There is no way they win impeachment. I can't believe you just compared Richard Nixon to George Bush. That pretty much crystalizes how you let your partisan juices and emotions get the better of reason.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That's gonna be hard, isn't it? Considering he and others on here absolutely LOATH the man.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wasn't too hard for the GOP to launch impeachment proceedings against Clinton for significantly less than that. So save your holier-than-thou attitude, you moron.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Categorically taking it off the table like that wasn't the best move . . . now what happens if Bush is caught red-handed (well . . . more red-handed than he's already been) breaking the law?

Again, the deal is if Bush goes, then you've got Cheney. Not exactly the guy anyone wants with his finger on the button (or trigger, as the case may be).

Draft saved Draft deleted