1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rental Car Companies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 25, 2007.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I rented from Advantage in Las Vegas back in July for a week and had no problems. Good price, too.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Loved picking the car with National. Then my company switched "official rental car provider" from National to Avis. Sigh. There's a neighborhood Avis near my house that I rent from all the time and they have great cars, but the prices really do suck.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Best I could get so far in Vegas was with Fox, $159 for five days.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why do you need a car in Vegas?

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Last two times I've reserved a compact, I wound up with a Crown Vic. I hate renting cars.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

hotwire.com is awesome.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Returned car in airport location recently, gas tank F. Week later, get letter from Hertz, saying "Upon review, the tank wasn't full and your credit card is being charged for 22.67 gallons of gas plus a service charge."

Well sonuvabitch! I happened to have my gas station receipt with time of purchase, the amount paid, a time stamp just minutes before dropping car at airport and address of gas station less than mile from rental car center. And the rental receipt shows not only that the person checking in the car noted it as "F" but also the time returned. Oh, and the mileage showed only 112 miles driven, which sure as hell ain't using up 22.67 gallons of gas. Even if it had been a Hummer rather than a compact car.

Copied all that stuff, sent it to Hertz with appropriately offended letter and suggested they remove the extra charges from my credit card AND give me a one-time bump of their reward points (or whatever they call them). They did remove the charges but neither apologized to a longtime customer nor offered anything, even a 10% off coupon.

Gotta use them for company travel but I'm done with them as a personal choice. Be very careful that they're not billing you or your company for extra stuff after you think you're transaction is complete!

8. psychman56

psychman56 Guest

It was a good thing you have your receipts! Or those people might have gotten away with the ridiculous extra charges. Coupons. Coupons would have been a great gift for an offended customer. But I wouldn't settle for a 10% off coupon, I would have wanted a free mileage coupon instead!

Draft saved Draft deleted