1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Removing sourcing info from a story: major ethical violation or SOP?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Jun 29, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this, and I'm always befuddled when someone argues the other side.

Once you have the story confirmed there is absolutely no need to credit someone else for the story. And frankly, as a reader, it just sort of annoys me when someone adds a "in a story first reported by the Podunk Gazette." Why are you telling me you got beat? As a reader I want the information, not the scorecard of which paper had it first.

If you don't have it confirmed on your own but still feel it's something you should run, then yes, attribute the hell out of it.

For what it's worth, I see this all the time in sports stories about trades... but almost never in news.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

In this case, I knew there would be a decision made Tuesday night and I had already set it up with the school department that I would call them Wednesday morning but I couldn't be at the meeting itself because I was covering our local school committee at the same time it was happening.

Without the scoop from the competing newspaper, I wouldn't have had that information Tuesday night and wouldn't have been able to corner the guy for a quote. Funny story, by the way, he completely blew off my four phone calls today for some followup information so that leads me to believe that, without the breaking story, I wouldn't have gotten anything from him.

I went and independently confirmed all the details today but, again, without that break my story wouldn't have been nearly as detailed. That's why I'm crediting them and I would like to think they'd do the same for me if the roles were reversed.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is it break time yet?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Drop and give me 20.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I would think "john jones confirmed reports" is sufficient. Acknowledges without naming the other paper. That way you've covered your tail and your sister paper doens't need to name the direct competitor.

Sister papers are fun. Had one insert a quote from a coach in their area unattributed. Got email from that coach's SID wondering how that was possible since the guy whose byline was on the story had never met or interviewed that coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted