1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remind your kids.....please.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Sep 29, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I obviously can't say until it happens (which hopefully it doesn't), but I tend to be a hardline rationalist. I doubt I'd change.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

I'm a hardline reactor. As I said earlier, just give me a chance for a "visitation" road trip if they find this slime. I'd have two days of good hard driving to get there and back, and yet I might get myself busted for touching an inmate, given the opportunity. They get out, they'll do it again within a week.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a good point. Swimming pools and guns in the house are a lot more likely to pose a threat to a child than creepy people in a van.

We just react to that stuff differently.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

A swimming pool can drown your kid, a gun can shoot them. But as they lay in their casket, you know that their final moments weren't spent under the rule of a pervert.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Great post Rick.

I've enjoyed reading this blog http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/ about raising a child like that. It's got some good stuff.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In my neighborhood we have parents on both extremes.

We had kids at age 5 who would be at our house for hours and the parents didn't know where they were.

We have parents who won't let their high school age kids cross a busy street.

I don't know which ones are worse -- though my kids think the strict parents are wackos.

And the two strictest sets of parents -- who have daughters all the same age -- nearly came to blows and wanted school officials involved because the girls were mean to each other.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Children in Memphis -- the new copper pipes.

And are there Muslims driving that kidnapper van?

Story at 10 on Fox News.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Only an @sshole would change a thread like this to a Muslim thread.

So you want to try to make a point?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think he's saying it's quite a leap for someone who is down on his luck to decide to give the child sex trade a go. They might start with scrounging copper pipes or knocking off liquor stores.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Aced.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

They have libraries on Vulcan :) ?

Good post Rick. I tend to agree that the dangers are overstated however I lose a lot of my ability to think rationally when it comes to the safety of my kids. At the end of the day I try to give them the tools to make the right decisions so that they are aware of dangers but not paranoid.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

I don't exactly see the relevance of the Muslim remark though, and that hasn't been responded to.

Draft saved Draft deleted