1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remembering Lyman Bostock....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Sep 18, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought it was fine.

How many of us would have knocked?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not me.

But I also think the way he set that last scene tells us what we need to know about the killer.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Loved the whole thing. The use of video, the writing. Excellent. I even muted Seinfeld re-runs to read it.

Had no problem with Pearlman injecting himself at the end, because the last bit was about him. Maybe it could have been a sidebar, but, to me, that's a minor quibble.

I wouldn't have knocked, because I feel the killer deserves no opportunity to spin Bostock's death. He is not deserving of sympathy.

Great, great stuff. Wish I'd done it.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

initially, i was kind of upset that pearlman didn't knock when i finished reading.

but after reading your post, though, i agree. smith didn't deserve the opportunity.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I also liked the end.

6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I give Pearlman credit for knocking, and trying to get the guy to talk. For the most part, it was a good read. But the final section came across to me as him showing that he had the stones to knock on the door. To me, it came off poorly.

There was plenty of scene setting and description in the final part that gave a strong glimpse of who Smith is today. I didn't mind that Pearlman included efforts to reach Smith, but I don't think he wrote that part well. No need to include that he informed Smith that he was Jeff Pearlman from ESPN.com. Who cares?

Why couldn't he just write that when Smith was asked about the death of Lyman Bostick, that his response was, "I'm not interested. Have a nice night."

The piece wasn't about Pearlman's struggle to get Smith to speak. It was about Bostick's tragic end. The quotes at the end from Turner were powerful and moving, and would have provided a strong ending on their own. Instead, the ending is about Pearlman, and his decision to drive away.

In the final section, Pearlman refers to himself in the "I" form 15 times. Before that portion of the story, he hadn't done it once. There just wasn't the need to go that route.

If it was totally necessary to put himself into the story, he could've opened the story by setting the scene with him in his car, trying to decide what to do. In that sense, the story would wrap back to the beginning, since Pearlman's presence in the story would have been established.

Instead, the story is about everyone else until the end, when it becomes about Pearlman.

7. partain

partain Member

I had no idea who he was (was only 5 when he died), but I found the entire story pretty riveting.

As a magazine guy who gets to frequently write first-hand pieces, I had no problem with Pearlman putting himself into the story. Of course, in my newspaper days I'd never have done that except in a column.

And there's no way I'm knocking on that door!

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Pearlman may be accused of a lot of things, but not having stones will never be one of them...

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Newspapers, a good number of them, used to attempt these types of stories on a regular basis and often jacked them out of the park.

That was before:
    -- Slashing travel budgets;
    -- Shrinking news holes;
    -- Shedding takeout writers (done in by byline counters, among other things);
    -- Forcing remaining staffers to serve 2-3 platforms (blogs, audio, video) while blanketing their beats to chase every Web and talk-radio rumor.

I can count on one hand the number of papers that realistically could pull something like this off more than maybe once a year, the way things are set up today. And the worst part is, most of those that can't wouldn't anyway, because they don't believe an audience exists for this stuff.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He drove away. He didn't knock.

11. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Drug-free here. I just think it was an unnecessary personal shot at another poster.

But it's OK, because it was a lefty doing it to a righty, no?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted