1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remember this, kids, for your gamers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gil_Hicks, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Gil_Hicks

Gil_Hicks New Member

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20070726_Blasting_impression.html

Final score, anyone? Of course, you can do the math and eventually figure it out.

Seriously though, my guess is that the DN probably used a graphic box or something for the score in the print edition, then forgot to change the story online...still a glaring omission.

2. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Eh, there are enough numbers in there as it is. Score, Schmore.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The best sarcasm is the sneaky kind.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pet peeve of mine is when reporters complain about breaking information out into a box and they say it's in the story. Well, it outta be both places, especially in the case that one disappears.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

While in J-school, my professor always told us from day 1 in our sports class to never forget the score in gamers. Someone forgot it in a pretty big assignment once, needless to say, my prof wasn't that happy. He made that student's life miserable. I think he switched to a communications major.

Marcus is usually a solid writer for most parts, including the score and necessary bits in his stories. I guess since it was late and it was an exciting game, he forgot to put it in? Shouldn't a copy editor or the editor notice that and insert it in somewhere?

6. One of our layout guys is notorious for doing this. It happens a hell of lot more often than it should.

He will put the final score in the breakout box and take it out of the story! It drives the SE nuts, but the guy could care less and keeps on doing it.

Of course, we have writers who will get caught up in the game and making deadline and gloss over the final score.

I remember doing it once, several years ago - in a blowout game (72-6 or something). My SE was riding me about it and I told him (jokingly) it wasn't relevant to the story.
    We got a complaint from Mom about the story because I didn't mention Johnny Sophomore scored a late touchdown in the game.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Even in this day and age of the gamer become less relevant "the next day" because of instant updates on the net, phones and e-mail, I still put the final score in very early - even if I'm taking more of a feature angle on a player, situation, winning streak, whatever.

It's got to be there, within the first three or four paragraphs.

8. statrat

statrat Member

I did it once, even forgot to put the final in my "How they scored" box in a football gamer. The ME saw it the next morning, and I told it was to test to our reader's brains. Hasn't happened since.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he still has a job.

10. Me too.
    But in this day age - short of telling a female employee you'd like to shag her (which is what got our last employee fired) or netting some sort of criminal charge (which cost two of other employees jobs) you keep your job.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue]Who cares about the final score anyway? After all, sports is not about winning and losing. [/blue]

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

"Our kids work so hard."

Draft saved Draft deleted