1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remaining Led Zep members to tour?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

FSportsJournalists.comI:

Here's the web site to go to if you want to pre-register for tickets to the gig.

http://www.ahmettribute.com/index.html

This site apparently crashed when it opened and was getting 80,000 hits a minute. Apparently when you register, you're entering a lottery of sorts to have a shot at purchasing tickets for the show at The O2, which holds 20,000. Cost is 125 pounds per ticket. Two ticket max.

I just pre-registered just to see if I get the opportunity to buy tickets. What the heck.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I heard a story on CNBC driving home from work about this. The reporter strongly intimated that aside from a Beatles reunion (an impossibility), this is THE reunion tour.

She also quoted someone saying that after this show, there's no way Zep CAN'T tour.

Plant and Page have been jerking everyone around on this for the better part of this decade. But if the Police are grossing $60 million on their reunion tour, I would hazard a (conservative) guess that Zeppelin could pull down three times that.

And if they're touring anywhere within 500 miles of where I'm typing this -- and I can't fathom why they wouldn't be -- I'm so there.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Gotta say... I'm with Buck on this one.

Anyone remember the Led Zeppelin appearance at Live Aid? Bad. EPIC bad. So bad they refused to allow the footage to appear on the DVD boxed set -- they wrote checks to the charity, but didn't want that performance to see the light of day.

That was 22 years ago. Think they're better now?

I understand the nostalgia, but I'm guessing this is a reunion that's best left at one gig.

4. Claws for Concern

If there is a tour, perhaps they play MSG or Giants Stadium; Memorial Coliseum, Dodger Stadium or Staples in L.A.; Soldier Field in Chicago.

Regardless, I think, unlike the Marlins, they could sell out Dolphins Stadium

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I remember that. Wasn't Phil Collins filling in on drums?

All that said PC, I'll take my chances. Along with the Talking Heads (a distant second), this was the one band I wanted to see live that I never did.

It won't be the same, yeah. But I'll take my chances.

6. Claws for Concern

It's from Wikipedia (Jason Bonham's page) but ... In May 1990, Bonham married Jan Charteris, in Stone, Kidderminster. His wedding reception included a jam with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes - Phil Collins and, I believe, Tony Thompson on drums. Took two to replace Bonham.

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest Led Zeppelin fan, and if I was I may well be hoping for a show near me. It just seems like the odds of disappointment are really high on this one.

(And not to rub it in, Birdscribe, but I saw Talking Heads at the Long Beach Arena the night before they recorded the Pantages show for the movie "Stop Making Sense." The staging was exactly the same. Needless to say, it was an amazing show. I don't think early and late Heads stuff holds up well, but I still love that middle period with the big touring band.)

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Very true. I still have the Rolling Stone with the photo.

That was two years after they played three songs at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary party, around the time when Plant and Page played Knebworth, pulling out Zep tune "Wearing and Tearing" which of course had never been played live. And Plant's latest solo record at that time got a lot of radio airplay, they did an interview together for Rolling Stone about the 1970s . . . . . and it seemed if The Mighty Zep was gonna ever get back together, that was absolutely the time.

And a couple years later, Plant was touring solo again (though playing Zep tunes) and Page made an album with David Coverdale. And a couple years after that, Plant and Page did that Unledded thing with the Indian musicians (which had a few good tunes), toured, then released the mediocre "Walking into Clarksdale" and toured behind that. Some say that tour was good, others not so much.

In other words, they blew it more than a decade ago. They teased people, they played at it, then ultimately gave up.

Now they would be an absolute embarrassment. They'd have to pull a Pink Floyd and bring in 18 non-band members to do anything close to what they once did. Hell, at Live Aid they had an extra bass player while Jones played keyboard. Does anyone realy think Page wouldn't need some help?

That said . . . .If they toured, I'd HAVE to see them, period. I couldn't stay away, even if I feel very strongly they will be a disaster.

9. Claws for Concern

The December 13, 2007 issue of Rolling Stone cover story:

Exclusive
    The Return of Led Zeppelin
    The secret rehearsals – and talk of the biggest tour ever

Cover photo of Page (completely gray hair), Plant (gray beard) and John Paul Jones (short hair, no gray).

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Had to know the money would be too good to pass up.

And as noted earlier, this is THE reunion tour. Nothing will ever top this, unless someone exhumes John and George.

Ka-fucking-ching.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Already out, and not bad.

And I, too, will be all over a Zeppelin reunion tour. I saw the Stones for the first time in 1997 and Black Sabbath in 1999, and they were both great, even well past their prime. Same for Johnny Cash in 1996. Waylon Jennings was a major disappointment when I saw him in 2000 (he didn't live much longer after that), but at least I can always say I did.

Zeppelin is right at the top of the list of bands I never got to see (mainly because I was six when they broke out), just ahead of Rush and Pink Floyd.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"Talk" of a tour?

Anyone read the article yet?

How firm is the "talk"?

Dammit . . .another reunited band I'll have to see. I already bit the bullet and picked up tickets for Van halen; this, even though it won't be what it was, will be a can't-miss spectacle.

I have a feeling that no matter how the December 10 performance is, outlets like Rolling Stone will slobber.

Draft saved Draft deleted