1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relocation not paid?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jor El, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Hope you didn't quit your current job yet.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sounds like he's just been hired by the JRC.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends how badly you want to work at your hometown paper.
    If you grew up there, you know what it's about -- warts and all. If doing that is worth eating the relocation costs -- tho you get to deduct it off the taxes -- go ahead.
    What price is the move home worth?

4. Jor El

Jor El Guest

My wife and I had a long talk, and we both talked with our parents as well. They've been through this just like us.

We've decided that it's financially irresponsible. The salary they're offering will match what my next raise in my current place will be. I can't justify laying down nearly $4,000 for a moving truck, gas for the truck, moving two vechicles (which can't tow a trailer), and hotels for a four-day drive.

We don't have kids, but since we both work at the paper, we don't make a ton (as you've probably guessed).

Haven't quit the current job, or even let them on, so I'm okay. The place isn't JRC, but it is privately owned.

Thanks to all of you for the advice.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

milk that call back to hometown paper for all it's worth. you have your mind set and are in the position to milk them for several grand. management can be flexible if they want/need you.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the parents live in the hometown and you plan to have kids anytime soon, the move may be worth it in babysitting savings alone.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you want the job, take it...

If you don't, let it pass by...

Is it cheap on their part? Absolutely, but unless you're working for one of the top papers, most will not pick up the entire tab. Based on what I've heard, if you get as much as $1-$2K, you're not doing too badly...

I was lucky, when I left my last gig, they sent movers in who handwrapped everything I own, even things that weren't worth the time or the care... I had old plastic cups from college that I keep pens in on my desk... They were wrapped like they were fine china...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it was the paper getting rid of you that sent the movers. ;)

9. Jor El

Jor El Guest

No kids in the plans, and my wife's family is in the area we're at now.

I've decided not to do it. There's no need to go into more debt for a job that is barely offering what I'll get for the next raise here. Also, I'm not in a situation where I have to leave. I enjoy the work and get along (for the most part) with people I work with.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That sounds sensible and all, but tell me you will leave quickly if the planet has unusual seismic activity.

11. Jor El

Jor El Guest

Brando's floating, discombobulated head will make that promise.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I've worked at a dozen papers in a dozen years, and only one regularly paid relocation to new employees. It was a small paper, but it took little bit of fighting to get the paper to pay our top candidate's U-Haul gas money. But they did. And when the new employee asked, they also advanced some money.

Draft saved Draft deleted