1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religulous v. The King of Kong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ditto. The human condition at its most raw.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I will, however, watch The King of Kong, even though I tend to think Donkey Kong is overrated. Ain't no Mr. Do!, that's fer shure

3. pallister

pallister Guest

It is better than Joust, though.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How old was the kid he pushed for the foul ball?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Ugh, Joust. The game that teaches you the point of life is to fly around and try to sit on your enemies' heads. Though it was a good workout pounding the button to keep from falling into the lava ... which you did anyway.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

Elitism? How is being anti-organized religion elitist? Rationalists are a marginalized minority, if anything. Seriously, pally? Elitist?

Anyway, Joust does suck. Although it features in the flick. As does Q-bert, Galaga, Defender, and Pac-Man.

And several people in the movie argue that Donkey Kong is the hardest video game ever invented, which I'm inclined to agree with. I hated that game.

Hope that doesn't make me elitist.

Pallister, the more I think about that label, the stupider it is.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It's pallister's favorite trope--anything intellectual or erudite is elitist.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Jones? Elitist?
    He drank at Nye, fer keyrist's sake... that's as anti-elitist as you can get... now, if he'd wandered into Reggie's Skyway Lounge...

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Saw King of Kong at the True/False Film Fest in Columbia, Mo., in 2007. Loved it. Glad to see it has been making its way around.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Definitely sounds like something I'll have to see.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Jones, I would say 99 percent of people involved in organized religion are good, decent people who would never bother you. What I find elitist is lumping that large percentage of people into the "I can't believe they're so dumb" category. If you don't think characterizing such a large percentage of people's beliefs as "fairytales," well, then, that, to me, is evidence of your elitism.

But, in the spirit of Rodney King, at least we can all get along re: Joust. And I couldn't play DK worth a shit, so we have that in common, too.

12. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

love the bill maher. can't wait to see his flick.

Draft saved Draft deleted