1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious make up of the country displayed in map form

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Jan 18, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I never expected Nebraska to be such a hodge-podge, either.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think the answer is yes.

Look for Texas to turn bluer in coming years as the Hispanic population grows. (That the white-bread GOP bastion of Collin County is at least plurality Catholic is a revelation.)

There are also a number of Catholic pockets scattered throughout Texas in little towns like West, Muenster, and Nazareth (mostly of German origin; Czech in the case of West).

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

But how many Nebraskans worship with this guy?

[​IMG]

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Or Polish in the case of Panna Maria.

Also, Castro County, where Nazareth is located, is becoming increasingly hispanic. I don't know that I've ever met a Protestant WASP from Dimmitt.

5. That can't be it, wi. The Disciples aren't that big.
    I think it's the latter, which pisses me off no end. Megachurch wingnuts assuming the title of "Christian" all to their lonesome.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

If that's the case, that is indeed irksome.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You have no basis upon which to believe that. Unless there's multiple megachurches in a county, or the county is small, one physical church isn't going to have that kind of sway on statistics. And I'm sure glad you're spreading your wings of tolerance wide when you immediately categorize those who go to megachurches as "wingnuts" based on what you think you know (I doubt, if you actually went to a megachurch like Lakewood or Willow Creek, you'd be quite as quick to judge. Or maybe you would).

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

If the "Christian" category does in fact refer to all independent churches combined rather than the Disciples of Christ denomination, then I'm a little surprised that the independents don't have the plurality in places like western Kansas and eastern Colorado.

Draft saved Draft deleted