1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious controversy, Canadian version

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 8, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

The ME of a daily newspaper. Thanks.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

It wasn't even big news here, where she's based. But let's wait for the Prime Minister to oops at mass before we declare scandal.

Of course, our gay-pride marchers beat up sidewalk protesters. That's Calgary.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Get bent. As a former journalist, I don't find this newsworthy as all. Stick your surprise in the same place you can stick your rationale about the Post.

If he'd flipped off the crucifix, OK. If he'd wiped his ass with the priest's robe, sure. But fumbled over communion? Please ... Catholics themselves have done worse things in their own churches.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, which daily newspaper?

That's not a tough question is it?

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I already revealed as much. Sorry if your reading comprehension is affected by the fact your opinion has been disagreed with.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not to butt in on a north-of-the-border dispute, but hey, it's a universal Church, right? :)

Mystery Meat has it right ... if you're not Catholic, don't accept Communion. Don't hold your hands out to the priest (although the Canadian PM appeared to grab it).

As JC said, one of his handlers should have briefed him. It looks Bush (G.W.) league at best, offensive to practicing Catholics at worst.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're incomprehensible

Simple question.

Who the hell is Darren Krause?

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Krause is the ME at Metro Calgary. AMac made that pretty clear and it's on the guy's Twitter bio.

My guess is part of this has to do with Harper's attempted handling of the media in the past. His government has pissed off a lot of journalists in Ottawa and I see them inflating minor stories like this to World War III status a bit too easily.

That said, as mentioned before, there's nothing wrong with reporting that he made a boo-boo. Maybe it's buried deep in the A section, but if you're covering the PM it's not your job to decide how it's played, just that it's reported.

I can't say I've been paying a lot of attention to the national papers, but it's not getting much press in our city at the moment. Check that, none.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Harper deserves grief over a lot of things but this is not one of them. It is just an excuse to pile on to a western PM from the friendly confines of the GTA.

You would think that given he grew up in Toronto he would have better social graces.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I dunno. I'm from Western Canada and I find this embarrassing. As a private individual, I am very sensitive to the traditions and expectations when I attend a church I'm unfamiliar with. I expect my PM and his staff to be even more so. I was raised Catholic and, for the devout, this is a very big deal.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

This should probably go on the Politics board but the folks checking in on this thread might find this interesting.

Any savvy internet types want to figure out who owns the site?

http://www.republicansforignatieff.com/?r4i=home

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Where did she make that pretty clear? I didn't see a reference to Metro Calgary in any of her posts.

But there's a Metro Toronto link

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto

Sorry, there's the Toronto Star, the Toronto Sun, the Globe & Mail and the National Post in Toronto.

I have NEVER heard of Metro anything as a legit Canadian news source.

EDIT. I just realised it's the rag they hand out free on the subway in Toronto. Too funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted