1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious controversy, Canadian version

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 8, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

That it's even a story is an over-reaction, JR. Christ, that we're falling down in financial affairs is a problem. That he commits such an egregious sin at a church service doesn't concern most people under 40 in this country.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

So assassination and excoriation are the bench-mark for news? Anything below those levels is in no way newsworthy?

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

If you want to pander, be my guest. I won't be reading.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ok, then.
    I wasn't trying to pander. I was trying to make the point that the incident was newsworthy.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've PM'd Zinc and asked him to join us over here. :)

While I think a lot of Protestant churches invite any Christian to take part, most people know that Catholics only allow Catholics to receive communion. (And even they are supposed to have gone to confession.)

Often at an occasion -- a wedding or a funeral -- where there will be a lot of non Catholics, the priest will politely point this out prior to communion.

I'm surprised the PM wouldn't know the protocol and/or that no one pointed it out to him.

Clinton did the same thing while President when he was in South Africa (I think it was South Africa). Pretty odd considering he went to a Catholic college. It was a big deal, at least among right wingers, when he did it.

6. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

If he had farted, would it be a story?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That would depend on the circumstances.
    If a political leader gets sick and vomits at home = probably not a story.
    If a political leader gets sick and vomits during a public function = probably a story.
    It may not be as important as other stories in the news cycle, but it's still newsworthy.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

AMac, you're one of my favourite people, but c'mon, we live in an era where the most mundane things become news and the newsworthy gets blown all out of proportion. You don't have to look any further than the Michael Jackson funeral.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So did he actually palm the wafer instead of eating it?

That would be bizarre.

10. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

harper is a social retard

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Does it have to be? No. And it's funny how a daily newspaper's editor agrees with me.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Doesn't make it right.

Unfortunately, our political figures are always under a too-constant surveillance by people who are going to nitpick every little thing that they do.

AMac is right - I don't give a shit that the prime minister pocketed a wafer at Romeo LeBlanc's funeral. It's not news, it's not in any way worthy of controversy.

There are way more important prime ministerial fuck-ups on which Canadians should be concentrating. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted