1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relaxation techniques

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am going through a rough time right now - my dad is having health issues (although right now he is doing pretty well), I've got some stressful things going on at work and a few other things are bothering me. I was hoping people could share some of the things they do to relax when they're feeling stressed and upset. I tend to be a worrier as it is and I am just making myself miserable these days.

Thanks in advance.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Dyno:

* Take a long, hot bath with a book you've been dying to read. Don't even think of getting out until you're wrinkled as wrinkled can be. Bubbles optional, scented candles mandatory.

* Go get a mani-pedi. The mani is actually optional, though I find the arm massage to be very nice. But the massage chair and the pedi are mandatory.

* Go find a sunny spot in a park and read. Or just lie out in your back yard (if it hasn't gotten too cold yet). Or put a fire in the fireplace (if it has gotten that cold) and curl up with a hot drink and a good movie.

Whatever you do...just shut the world out for a couple hours. It will all still be there when you get back, but you'll be much more ready for its onslaught.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Take a walk at night in your neighborhood. Things will look similar but different, and the lack of movement is calming and allows time to think.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Dyno, I find that listening to soothing music does it for me. I also shut off my phone ringer, cell phone, and computer.

Also, from time to time, I will go to Starbucks and get a coffee and take a nice walk around the neighbourhood where I live. I live in a quiet residential area so these walks are a stress reliever. It takes your mind off of everything.

Going shopping is cathartic for me too...

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Yoga ...

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Take a walk.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Go for a walk while listening to some good music.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Pop in a couple episodes of a favorite sitcom or funny movie. Gets your mind off your troubles for a bit and hopefully makes you laugh, because laughter truly is the best medicine.

10. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Go to your local Barnes & Noble, get a cup of your favorite from the in-store Starbucks, find a quiet corner and just sit and read.

11. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Sex.

Work out.

Go to the iTunes Store and search "Soundscapes."

Maybe all three.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

How about somethings that you have actually done?

Draft saved Draft deleted