1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relatively stable newspapers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bronco77, Nov 26, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They give IPads to subscribers? Doesn't an IPad cost more than a 5-year subscription?

2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They hire very good people, so good on them!

Tweener and Bronco77 like this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

5. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

Another sign of stability at the Democrat-Gazette: We just got our Christmas bonus (one day's pay).

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

These subscription numbers demonstrate why the pharse "stable newspapers" are an oxymoron.

As a very crude measure you can take computer market penetration by diving metro population by 3. St. Louis has a metro population of 2.8 million or about 933,000 households. So if Sunday circulation is 136,000 then penetration is 15%. 10 years ago penetration rates of 35% were not uncommon.

And circulation is dropping fast.

7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Because the industry is so competitive, I'd like to think that most publications hire very good people. But I'm familiar with several situations in this industry where a lesser candidate has been hired for a variety of reasons, often because they are willing to work for less money. I'd be curious to hear what others think about that and whether that helps or hurts a publication.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Arkansas has a lot of old people —retirees from up north as well as natives — which is part of why they’ve rocketed up the national circ rankings ... mainly by merely holding their own.

9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

How are the open records laws in Arkansas? Not as good as Florida, I'm sure, but it must be rampant with corruption.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

A subscription to the Raleigh News & Observer costs $50 a month??? $600 a year???? Seriously???

Based on their circulation size of 68,833 ... that's $41.3 million in yearly subscription revenue. Wow.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Assuming, of course, that any of those 68,833 people is paying full price. (Narrator's voice: "They're not.")

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Yeah, you got to be a moron to pay $600 a year for any newspaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted