1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relationships

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bucknutty, May 31, 2007.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

So I'm curious, having just had a lengthy relationship fall apart in no small part due to my job: How many others has this happened to? I get the sense that it happens a lot in this profession, but I'd like to hear some stories. How can you make it work? How do you move past it?

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Man, I'm gonna end up reading this thread way more than I should.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd be curious to do a sports departments survey.

Total marriages/number of employees. My bet is it would be WELL over 1 in most places. Yes, I'm sure the national average for all jobs would be - I bet ours would top the average easily.

I know several folks in this news room who are on No. 3. MANY more on No. 2.

Tough business on relationships. But at least we're underpaid.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't work so damn much. You put work first and what the hell do you think is going to happen to your personal life?

Oh, and if you by chance work with me ... never mind.

5. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I could work less, but then I'd be stuck here for the rest of my life. Maybe I should mention I'm only 23, and I'd like to move to a better paper with less hours one day.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She didn't deserve you anyway, then.

Hey, it's tough between the hours and the upredictable schedule. And at least in my day we had females who worked in the composing room who got off at the same time we did.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nurses.

They work crazy hours and make more money than you do.

Find the bars where the nurses hang out...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ever notice how many nurses smoke? What's the deal with that?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A few jobs ago we had a new person on the desk and she said to one of the guys, "Geez, how do you balance these hours with having a marriage?"

"I'm the wrong person to ask," he said. "We're getting a divorce."

I never got as far as marriage before meeting my wife 13 years ago. By that time we both were in our mid-30s and liked our alone time. I kind of knew probably 10 years earlier that a smart, independent woman was the way to go, that anyone clingy would never be happy with me. But the thing about smart, independent women is that some of them don't necessarily want a commited relationship, they want to be on their own. This one liked her independence but liked having a longterm relationship, too. And with me she gets to have both.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You never cared if they got off.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, it was a happy coincidence anyway.

12. boots

boots New Member

It's tough being a journalist and having a life. You will go through relationships and cars. You just have to keep stroking and hope that you can find an understanding person to be by your side.

Draft saved Draft deleted