1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly's debut for ESPN the MAG.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wonder why he felt a need to introduce himself.
    Isn't Reilly one of the two or three most famous sportswriters in the country?
    As far as the column goes, my dad wasn't an alcoholic, nor did he golf, so it didn't mean much to me.
    It was well-written though.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'll read a column about an alcoholic father, but not one about golf.

These pieces about finding in a silly game the keys to unlock life's mysteries have been done to death.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

1. Question for Mizzou--Did you mean 'he's so good he probably wrote that gem in 10 minutes?' or 'Reads like a lazy 10 minute shortcut.'

2. Does anyone think that piece sails right over the interest-level of the Mag's general readership?

3. Loved it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Combination. I wanted to read another 50 inches of it. I felt shortchanged that it was so short (probably 500 words).

I wanted it to resemble the Father's Day piece Thompson wrote last year. I wanted more info. I wanted more than a column, especially for his intro to ESPN piece. I understand that it's just a column for the mag, but I wanted more from it.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Guess my dad and I didn't rate, because we never took a trip to Augusta. Or gave two craps about it. In the span of just two stories, it has become a cliche.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fine. Damn fine, it is.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm not going to bash Reilly, but I liked his piece about his mother's death and how she always liked Dan Reeves better. But if you think SI's loss is ESPN's gain I refer you to the shot in the gut that Scott Price wrote about Johnny Tapia on the backpage a few weeks back. I actually think SI's backpage is better now.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/188599

8. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

I enjoyed the column. It made you think a little bit because he kept it tight instead of rambling on and on. Would have been very easy to overwrite trying to dazzle.
    Probably made his choice for that first column a lot easier. Otherwise, what do you do, "I hate Kobie." "I love Lance Armstrong." "I hate Barry Bonds."
    Too many options.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In 20 years, Rick Reilly's son will be blogging about how Dad took him to an SI swimsuit shoot one time.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

There aren't any famous sportswriters any more. Really, I don't think the average sports fan can name a writer who doesn't write for the local paper.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I'll take that bet, and see you the regulars on "Around The Horn."

Mind you, I'm not saying this is necessarily a GOOD thing ...

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why a 1986 Yugo? I could find a 100 better car analogies than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted