1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly re-distributing baseball's MVP awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

christ, that made me laugh. god bless, rump.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I really don't know why people don't get the reason why guys took steroids. No, they don't give anyone the ability to hit a baseball, they just give them the strength (or at least the ability to build the strength) to hit it farther.

PEDs take career minor-leaguers and make them major-league bench players. They take major-league bench players and make them starters. They take starters and make them All-Stars. They take All-Stars and make them Hall-of-Famers. And they take Hall-of-Famers and make them inner-circle Hall-of-Famers.

It's all a matter of degrees. Not everyone who took PEDs became the 1998 version of Mark McGwire. But steroids probably transformed Paul Lo Duca from a career minor-league/fringe major-leaguer (he didn't reach the big leagues for good until age 29) into a four-time all-star.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Steroid use leads to an increased level of scrappiness? I had no idea.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Lo Duca took the designer steroid, Ecksteinodol.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And speaking of hustle and scrappiness:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/turns_out_craig_counsell

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Double J. A reporter is a stakeholder in the facts. Baseball would have been much better served had there been more outside scrutiny of this issue in the 1990s, just as it would be better served at some effort to provide perspective rather than the moralizing bullshit that so often accompanies the national pastime.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Word. I'm soooo tired of the catch-up sanctimony.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There was money to be made on Sosa/McGwire and there's at least the possibility that money might be made on uncovering the steroids scandal.

9. In Exile

In Exile Member

My problem with Reilly is his approach - You can't pick and choose within an era as to what and who was legit and what and who were not - it is impossible to extract parts from the whole. Example: If clean player A batted before dirty player B, the pitches A received were probably affected by the fact he hit in front of B, hence even though A was clean the game was changed and his performance was tainted as well B's performance. And any game B played in was similarly affected - pitching changes were made, guys were or were not pinch hit for, etc., etc., due to his presence in the lineup And even if a given team was entirely clean, because other teams in the league were not, that skews everything else. Everything.

Personally, I think that from 1988 onward, MLB has all the competitive integrity of the WWF. That goes for the NFL and NBA and NCAA as well. It's all a crock - and probably has been - but its in everyone's self-interest to perpetuate the myth. Sports are like the movies - entertaining but not real. I still follow, I still watch, I still write about it, but at a certain level, I realize the whole thing, all of it, is total BS.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Please don't misunderstand, Michael, I don't disagree at all with what you're saying.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You just blew my mind ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Didn't want to let this pass unnoticed.

Outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted