1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly lecturing again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 22, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I get the feeling McEnroe at least would think the system was rigged, and still be pissed off.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He was a top 50 player. Exactly how high up the rankings do you have to be to enter the discussion about bad behavior?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I agree all those guys were classy (and, in Wheaton's case, Minnesotan, which makes him an even nicer man). And that's my point, those guys grew up watching McEnroe, Connors, Nastasse, and instead of imitating them, went the opposite directions, anti-Tarango if you will. Meaning, I don't think we have to worry about the next generation of duffers occasionally saying fuck simply because they've seen Tiger do it, what, 20, 25 times in 12 years.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Maybe the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam? Tarango never sniffed a semi-final of a Slam, did he?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Top 10

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Tarango's top rank was No. 42.

Slight threadjack here because the Wiki stuff on him is priceless:

"Tarango is probably best remembered not for his achievements as a tennis player, but for his temper, and tarnish of the Tarango name. He had numerous on-court temper tantrums during his career, and more than once chose to default a match in protest at umpiring decisions he disagreed with.

The most famous incident Tarango was involved in came at Wimbledon in 1995. During a third round match in which he was trailing against Alexander Mronz, Tarango became infuriated and refused to continue when umpire Bruno Rebeuh, after having ruled against him several times before, called one of his serves out. Tarango shouted: "That's it, I'm not playing", and turned to Rebeuh and yelled: "You are one of the most corrupt officials in the game and you can't do that." He then called for the officiating supervisor and asked for Rebeuh to be removed, and was denied, then he packed his bags and stormed off the court, defaulting the match. He shouted at the crowd to "Shut up" when they jeered at him as he was leaving. To add to the controversy, Tarango's French wife Benedicte walked up to Rebeuh and slapped him twice in the face.

Tarango was fined $63,000 for the incident, and banned for two Grand Slam tournaments, including the following year's Wimbledon.

Tarango retired from the professional tour in 2002 and now devotes his time to coaching.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Reilly's column was weak because you can't rip a guy for not being professional when he acts like a clown and girl up to the press box. And if Reilly was that great, he could have called Tiger or at least get a no comment.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's not part of the column.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Top 10 what?

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Who edited that part of Wikipedia? His cousin?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Read the whole exchange poin!

Draft saved Draft deleted