1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reilly column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tell him to get in a car with Bam and drive to New Hampshire and talk football, nothing but football, and then write something worthwhile. /HST

2. Songbird

Still, after 22 years, I have no idea why Ditka dissed Payton.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oddly, I think Ditka gave the ball to the Fridge for the same reason a guy like McCain would suspend his campaign or pull Palin out of Alaska to be his running mate, to make "it" about him.
    Ditka was already chafing about Buddy Ryan getting all the credit for the defense.

4. Songbird

Yes, but still ... Payton represented everything good about the game of football, about life, and yet on this greatest stage, he gets the ultimate slap in the face. I want to know the real reason.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I've said it before, I had a one-on-one with Payton that he agreed to and he could not have been a bigger asshole.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Never had the opportunity, but one guy who did cover him told me, "Who would have thought someone nicknamed 'Sweetness' had so much of an edge?"

7. Songbird

How so?

8. Girlinthehood

Girlinthehood Member

I guess I'm surprised by the reaction to this column. I thought it was terrific. Readers will eat it up. ... Wish McCain had agreed, too.

9. Girlinthehood

Girlinthehood Member

10. silentbob

silentbob Member

As I've mentioned before, my biggest pet peeve is when a poster puts on his cape and declares a topic or angle of no interest to the 8 bazillion readers out there. Unless you take a poll, just stick with your view.

That said, I think it's mildly interesting that a presidential candidate not only plays fantasy football, he knows that Oakland's secondary is a wreck. This is a perfect changeup for a columnist. Something light and easily digested.

Problem here is, the changeup has become Reilly's only pitch. He finds interesting topics, but he tries too hard to be funny. His columns have become formulaic. Maybe that's what they want him to do, but as we all know, he is capable of so much more.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Caesars Palace had posted HUGE odds (recall it opened around 50-1, but that didn't last long, if true) against 72 scoring a SB touchdown.

To a clearly-superior team, with likely considerable scope/choice in how they
    might score against the Pats once they gained control, this was red meat.

Ask Ditka.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Easy device to introduce a lot of information? Check.

Draft saved Draft deleted