1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reilly, before.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jun 19, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Interesting item on Deadspin, collecting a few of Rick Reilly's earlier works, written before he became a Media Empire.

Schott, Gumbel, Jim Murray....I wonder if he misses doing pieces like these.

http://deadspin.com/5295590/

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Jim Murray piece gives me chills every time.

Schott was really good, too.

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Here we go again .... ;)
    Still need to read the Murray story. Not sure I read the original. Some great stuff here, though.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That Citadel piece was in the first SI I ever read, back in the day. Still remembered some of it. It's stuff like that that helped get me into this business.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I don't think he does. I recall reading years ago that he said those long features just took too much out of him to do them on a regular basis. Said he was obsessive about talking to every possible interview subject and then agonized over the writing so much that he didn't feel he could keep it up.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The Gumbel story is one of my favorites.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I doubt he misses it, since he could still be doing it if he wanted to. It's disappointing that he doesn't have that desire anymore, but I can't imagine what it's like to do a story like that. It seems obvious to me that Reilly just got burned out.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I just don't know if we're ever going to see that kind of access again...those stories were written in a different era. The bonus piece in SI is no longer the holy grail of sportswriting.

That's the kind of work that made me crazy competitive in this business, and I don't know who is doing that caliber of reporting/writing in sports today.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He was a legend well before those pieces. Back in the early 1980s I was working with a Coloradoan who kept talking about Reilly like he was the second coming. He had started at the Boulder Daily Camera and was then writing for The Denver Post. I knew the byline because I read lots of out-of-town papers, but I had no idea he was our age until my colleague clued me in. There was no SportsJournalists.com, so gossip was carried out by phone ... landline. I wouldn't call it jealousy, because I don't recall anyone saying he didn't deserve it -- it was more like bemused awe. Didya hear Reilly's going to the L.A. Times? After only two years at The Denver Post? And then, a couple years later, Jeez, Reilly's going to SI? Indeed he was. And it wasn't as if he'd arrived out of nowhere.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Right, I'm thinking mid-80s. You said it perfectly.

I also recall he was one of the first to have an agent, for books and TV and everything else.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last great feature piece that I read in SI. Verducci's work just doesn't cut it for me any longer. After Clemens I keep wondering what he is not telling me.

SI needs to bring in someone like Jeff Pearlman.

12. spud

spud Member

I get fidgety reading those. Always have. I can't finish Death of a Racehorse anymore without feeling this immediate twinge that I need to go into work tomorrow and do something mind-numbingly significant.

Then I get into work and remember why I haven't had the drive to even try lately. Maybe its an indictment on me, I don't know, but it kills me.

Draft saved Draft deleted