1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reid speaks out on "I'm a Man!" rant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BartonK, Apr 11, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Feel-good ending? The poor kid's football career almost ended at Oklahoma State, so he's now at a D-II school playing for a coach with a questionable past. Yeah, this just warms the heart.

2. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

My thoughts exactly. Kinda wondered on why no one hopped on this sooner.

3. Found it to be a good read, too. Easy to stick with until the end.

Now I'm not protecting anybody, but thought he might have pushed it a little with more than one of the "not brave enough to print it" jabs. I always find that to be touchy ground in this business. Glass houses and all. Did he know all the details on why some of that never made the paper earlier? Just saying.

Now get Mrs. Reid some damn chicken and another Red Bull for Coach Gundy.

4. What value would there be to printing it earlier? If a coach will go on the record with it, sure, but I'm doubting that happens.
    So then you ask yourself, "Do I use 'sources close to the program' to call out the starting quarterback and risk alienating myself/my outlet for a story that everyone can see with their own two eyes anyway?"
    We saw Gundy's reaction when what everyone already knew was printed, so I think most people made the right call.
    But Carlson was asked to write about why Reid lost the job when Gundy wouldn't say what the problem was. She had to go there.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You really, really need to go back and read that column. It was a crapfest of innuendo and psychobabble built around the central, emasculating image of something Carlson didn't even see with her own eyes. To hammer it home, she returned the image later in the column - "perhaps even fed chicken." It was the height of immaturity, all aimed at some pissant coach. Not a good day for journalism.

6. I've read the column repeatedly. I have had personal dealings with all involved. I know more about the situation than most.
    I still say it was fair.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree then.

8. ARE YOU CALLIN' ME SOFT!?!?!

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Agreed 100-percent. The first time I read, I struggled to see how people could actually defend it.

Draft saved Draft deleted