1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reid: Gundy's rant ruined my life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Apr 11, 2008.

1. 1) Witnesses (as in multiple) at the scene said Reid's mother did feed him. He was carrrying his bag and talking on the phone while heading toward the bus. His mother was holding the food and said, "You have to eat!" and put the chicken up to his mouth while he listened to the person on the phone.

2) It's true that the columnist was not there to see that, but a beat writer from her paper was.

3) Gundy's father was telling people before the game was over they needed to go to postgame. Gundy claimed not to have read the article until after the game.

4) At the next press conference two days later, he was given the opportunity to explain what was wrong in the column. He declined repeatedly, saying, "I don't have to."

2. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

I usually like Friend, but I've got to take issue with the whole, "not brave enough" stuff. So it's good journalism for OSU beat writers to write about stuff that they only have on rumors? That's not being brave, that's a shitty story. Carlson wrote a column based a lot on rumors, and got ripped (not just by Gundy, but by plenty of us) for doing so.

I also found it a bit comical the way he kept referring to redbull like it must be whiskey or something. Last I checked a little bit of redbull shouldn't be the cause of a tirade. Being a jackass will do that, but not a little bit of caffeine.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm with spnited. nobody gives two shits about osu.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps. But if you ask if they remember "I'm a Man. I'm 40," far more than 10 would.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Many of the dumbfucks who did sport a wee little woodie when they saw the Gundy rant on TV or YouTube were tingling with delight for reasons unrelated to football or Oklahoma fucking State.

The southern part of Big 12 country is also, with the exception of various fascist enclaves in the intermountain West, the most right-wing (I won't dignify it by calling it "conservative") part of the United States. Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas...where the deer and the antelope pray to a freaky, militaristic and nationalistic version of God unrecognizable to many other Christians.

Anyway, point is that hatred for the LIBRUL MEDIA abounds in the southern Great Plains. Gundy became an instant hero because he went off on "THE MEDIA." OSU's faithful lapped it up like a starving hound before a bowl of cream gravy. The intense regional reaction gave this story more legs than it would have had otherwise.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It's the best tirade I have ever heard. I couldn't tell you one thing about Ok State football, but if me or any of my peers say "I'm a man, I'm 40!" I know exactly what they are saying, and I chuckle every time.

It's not as interesting as anything that happens with the NY Knicks, but I find the rant and the back story completely interesting. Just a view from LA.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I live in Toronto and I know nobody gives a fuck about Canada, but, shit, at least once a week someone in my office (lot of times me) will use that "I'm a man! I'm 40!" line.

8. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Yeah, it's not a national story the same way it wasn't a national story when Nancy Kerrigan got her leg clubbed. Only figure-skating fans cared, right? Just like only Big 12 fans cared about Reid and Gundy? It's an outrageous sports story, so it's a national story.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That was a great read.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

terrific read, but from here, i don't buy the stuff from the kid and his mother's side. no horse in this race, but i do know all about football coaches: they play the best players they can TRUST to win the darn game. no coach has enough of a personal agenda to cut off his nose to spite his face.

which doesn't been this coach was right to go off on his youtube rant. just that the kid qb sure seems to be a momma's boy seeking all sorts of rationalizations for his failures.

odds are, the coach is a knucklehead lunatic and the qb is destined never to be heard from again in terms of a legit future in the nfl. as parcells would say, "he's soft, like carvel."

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

At the risk of being a butt, I wonder how much of this discussion is based on our collective anger at Gundy for yelling at one of our own.

12. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I don't think it has much to do with that. Gundy acted like an idiot. I think many people agree that Carlson's article was not very good, but it does not give the coach the right to act like a total maniac and shame his university. When you run and are the face of the program, you have to act with some dignity and control. He had neither.

Draft saved Draft deleted