1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reggie Bush violating recruiting rules from other side?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Del_B_Vista, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Didn't see this about a favorite board lightning rod anywhere on Sports and News board:

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I was at the signing. McKnight and his coach are now saying McKnight misspoke at the presser, but I know what I heard. He said he was concerned about possible probation at USC, so Pete Carroll put Bush on a speaker phone and let McKnight listen by telephone as Bush explained why he thinks the investigation isn't something McKnight should worry about.

I asked, "Joe, when you talked to Reggie ..."

He cut me off and said he didn't talk to him. I said, "You just listened?"

He said, "Yeah, I just listened."

(That's from memory, but the exchange is still on my digital recorder)

Now they're saying it never happened, that McKnight got caught up in the excitement of signing day because he got asked a gazillion questions in five minutes.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe you can give the excerpt to a radio talk show... is it off the record!?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Nope. The entire thing was on the record.

(I know you were going for a laugh, and I laughed, but just wanted to say that ... on the record)

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So this happened Wednesday, and this fat one hung out there until Thursday night before somebody caught it?

We're loosing our fastball.

6. Johnny Dangerously

I wrote about it Wednesday for our Web site and later for Thursday's paper, but we didn't pursue it further for reasons I can't explain here. Or did you mean as grist for the SportsJournalists.com mill?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Either / or.

Just saying probably a lot of people didn't have that rule in mind when McKnight said it and surprised it took so long.

8. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Wow! Another stupid rule from the NCAA that is ignored by most everyone. I know more than a few high D 1 athletes and everyone of them was called numerous times during their recruitment by pro athletes representing schools. Dumb rule that is seldom followed.

Draft saved Draft deleted