1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reggie Bush can't outrun the league

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by thegrifter, Aug 14, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Reggie should just go ahead and ante up the $160,000 right now. Surely his deal with Adidas is for more than that. Plus, it's not like he (or at least, someone in his posse) didn't know about this rule. Every player agrees to it when he signs his contract. They may not like the rule, but they certainly like playing in the NFL. If they don't like it, well, they are welcome to not play any more if they feel strongly enough about it. And anyway, why does Adidas not have a licensing agreement with the league?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Got my Bengals gear catalog the other day from the NFL. In it, you could order an official Bengals blazer and an official Bengals tie.

IIRC, though, the blazer was navy instead of black.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Will they? You can say a lot of bad things about the NFL. The whole "no fun league" thing definitely fits. But cheapening their image or putting a price on every bit of real estate is not something anyone has ever accused them of--well, except you. You might be confusing them with the XFL or an independent league baseball team. If you are going to be sarcastic, you should at least be leveling criticisms grounded in real things the league does.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this is a strange thread. why is anyone feeling sorry for reggie bush? why does anyone care what kind of shoes he wears or whether he's allowed to wear a specific brand of shoes?

now peyton manning's hightops or nolan's tie (also mike tice when he was hired by the vikings said he wanted to wear a tie but the league nixed it so he went with the sweater vest) are slightly different in that they were honoring someone.

but seriously -- who fucking cares whether reggie bush gets to wear a certain kind of shoes? i mean i'm not saying we shouldn't debate it on this thread but i don't get why everyone is coming down on the league for this.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I don't see the problem here. Bush signed a deal with Adidas, so he'll be wearing the stripes regardless. Besides, would he even foot the bill? I read somewhere that the shoe company is responsible for dress code fines, etc.

Then again, if the NFL weren't such control freaks, we could focus on -- oh, I don't know -- football.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

WTF? I know blue blazer are a wardrobe staple and all, but black isn't THAT non-conformist.

Anyhoo ... right now, since the NFL is making such a stink about Bush's footwear, count on adidas gladly ponying up the fines. They'll come out so far ahead that the league will wish it had shut up about this one.

IIRC, they did the same thing with Mr. Jordan his first couple of years in the NBA, fining him for his silly non-conformist Air Jordan sneakers. Nike and Phil Knight had a marketing bonanza on their hands.

Draft saved Draft deleted