1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reflecting

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Wallace, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Wallace

Wallace Guest

A year ago yesterday, my aunt was killed in the line of duty in her work as a law enforcement officer with the Forest Service in the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

Of course I thought about her yesterday, but it didn't really hit me again until right before going to bed - the news showed clips of her funeral. It put me in a weird place.

Like many of you, writing is one of the ways that helps me express myself.

My aunt was killed by some worthless guy with a warrant living in the forest. A year later, it still doesn't make sense to me and it never will. The guy killed my aunt, then just hours later killed a recently retired corrections officer for his truck. He was later killed by police at a deli/gas station after a widespread manhunt.

My 16-year old cousin lost her mom. My uncle lost his wife. My dad lost his sister. My grandfather lost his daughter. I lost my aunt. Another family lost their loved one. All because some piece of trash didn't want to go back to jail.

Hug your siblings. Call your grandparents, your parents, your aunts and uncles just to see how they're doing. Tell your significant other you love them before they head to work in the morning. Kiss your kids each morning. You never know.

I'll always regret not spending more time with my aunt in the last year. I won't make the same mistake with the other loved ones in my life.

R.I.P Kristine Fairbanks. Gone but not forgotten.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Wallace - Hang in there, pal. It can't be easy, especially since it such a senseless death.

You're right about writing being therapeutic. It helped me after my wife died after suffering a stroke last year. I knew someday I would write a column about it. One day early this year, I just felt like it was time, so I did it. It felt like such a relief.

You don't have to write it for print - write it just for yourself, or for your extended family - whatever you're comfortable with. Trust me, it helps.

I looked back at the column recently, after her first birthday and our first anniversary after her death (they were just a few days apart). It even helped then, when I was thinking about her a lot.

Best of luck.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jesus, that's awful. So sorry to read about this, Wallace. Hope the anniversary was as tolerable as it could be for you and your family.

Draft saved Draft deleted