1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Refereeing hijinx

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Dec 3, 2008.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That's what I do. Make the little fucker come to me

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm proud to say I did get a yellow card in my soccer playing career. Also proud to say I never got a red card.

3. Obviously, a man of great self-control.
    Only one yellow?
    Can't you get three or four just by accident in a career?

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not really. The "career" was only about five years, starting with senior year in HS and going forward (and not counting a few years in indoor leagues).

I did work plenty hard to get that one yellow, though. It's tough for us easy-going types ;) to piss off the ref. :D

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I was so proud of my daughter when she got her first (and only) yellow card, I wanted to get it from the ref and frame it.

6. SigR

SigR Member

If you are playing at the right level of aggression in soccer, you should probably pick up a yellow card once every 5 to 10 matches I'd guess.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I played for 10 years and by the end of that I probably got carded once every three games or so. Only got the red once. And to be honest, they seem to be a lot stricter these days. I see cards for stuff that I never would have been called for back then. (Hell, I once shoved a guy who cheap-shotted a teammate, triggered a near brawl and I'm not even sure I got a yellow for that.)

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Even though I reffed for many years, I still racked up my share of Ts in my hoops career. Only got thrown out once -- there was a ref in a league who hated me, but his partner and I got along great. I always got into words with the ref that I hated, mostly because I thought that he was lazy and didn't understand travelling calls.

We were lucky enough to win our league and league winners play against your skill level from another league. The game usually is very loose because there is nothing to play for and the primary reason for showing up is that they give out the winners swag at the game. So I show up and the hated ref is there without his partner. A minute into the game, I get the ball in the low block, spin and score. Waved off for travelling. I shake my head and laugh when I head past him and he tosses me. Says that he's been waiting a long time to wipe the smirk off of my face.

9. Somebody told you the ref was a liberal and you just lost it, right?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ironic that kickball is a communist sport and ot played it...

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I played for two seasons, and I was a fairly aggressive keeper my second year. Never got one.

----

Chef, obviously the fool was an antagonist. If nothing else, that set the tone for that team. Whatever that tone is ...

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Was this guy the coach? Towel boy? Fan? Clock-keeper? Player?

Draft saved Draft deleted