1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redskins hire Jim Zorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

^BC-FBN--Redskins-Coaching Search,0162
    ^URGENT
    ^Jim Zorn hired as Washington Redskins coach
    ^By JOSEPH WHITE=
    ^AP Sports Writer=
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Washington Redskins hired Jim Zorn as their coach Saturday night, a surprise ending to a monthlong search for a replacement for Joe Gibbs, The Associated Press has learned.
    Zorn will be introduced at a news conference at 3 p.m. Sunday, according to a person who was informed of the Redskins' decision. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because a formal announcement had not been made.
    Zorn, a former Seattle quarterback, has been the Seahawks' quarterbacks coach for the last seven years. The Redskins hired him to be their offensive coordinator on Jan. 26 while continuing their search for a head coach.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I don't know if that's the place you want to make your head coaching debut.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Dan Snyder hires from within.

There's your continuity.

4. Wasn't he initially named their new OC?

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Poor Jim Fassel. That was his job before the fans revolted.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

steve spagnuolu = the wisest man on planet earth. 8) 8) 8)

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/archives/131523.asp

Redskins' release, by way of above:

JIM ZORN NAMED WASHINGTON REDSKINS HEAD COACH

ASBURN, VA. -- Jim Zorn, a veteran coach of 20 years and a renowned former NFL quarterback, today was named Head Coach of the Washington Redskins, succeeding Hall of Fame Coach Joe Gibbs, who retired Jan. 8.

"I've always dreamed of being a head coach with a franchise rich in tradition like the Redskins," Zorn said. "As a player who had to fight Redskins teams at RFK as well as at our home field, I know about the history of this franchise as well as the passion of its fans. I won't let you down."

"We are proud that our search was diligent, thorough, and resulted in today's announcement," said team Owner Daniel M. Snyder. "Jim's track record and reputation as a player, great teacher, and as a coach makes us confident that they will translate to success for the Redskins."

Zorn, who signed a five-year contract with the team, spent seven seasons as quarterbacks coach for the Seattle Seahawks under coach Mike Holmgren, where they shared in playoff trips for the past five seasons and one Super Bowl appearance.

Zorn said he was excited about working with the Redskins from the first moment the team contacted him.

"I know about the history and great fans of the Redskins. I played against the Redskins. I played against our two newest Hall of Famers, Art Monk and Darrell Green," Zorn said. "I, like all Redskins fans, am a long-time admirer of Joe Gibbs. Thanks to him, today's Redskins have a solid foundation that will serve us well. I expect great things of our team, and hold myself accountable for providing the leadership to make us successful."

Zorn broke into the National Football League in 1976 as the first quarterback for the expansion Seahawks, starting all 14 games and earning Rookie of the Year honors. He went on to play nine seasons for the team, then one year each with the Green Bay Packers, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before retiring in 1987.

Zorn is one of only eight men in the Seahawks' Ring of Honor.

"Playing experience like Jim's is an enormous advantage for a head coach," said Gibbs. "Every move he makes, every play he calls, is based on the foundation of having actually played in real time and in the face of real opponents. You can't learn that on the sidelines or in the classroom.

"Dan and Vinny worked extremely hard on this process, and their research and diligence paid off after many long nights and hard hours. They're to be congratulated for that," Gibbs said.

The Redskins began their search for a new coach on Jan. 9, following Gibbs' decision to retire. Snyder, executive vice president for football operations Vinny Cerrato, and other team officials evaluated more than 50 potential candidates for the head coaching job over two days and selected 10 for interviews, which began Jan. 10.

"We knew of Jim's stellar offensive reputation, so we hired him as coordinator, but we also suspected he would be a strong candidate for head coach," Snyder said. "After our first six-hour interview with him, I told Joe (Gibbs), 'This guy would make a terrific head coach.'

"But we stayed true to our commitment to interview every candidate. That took longer than expected because the Giants kept moving through the playoffs. Once we completed our interview with Steve Spagnuolo and concluded a day of discussion about all candidates, I called Jim and asked him to meet for lunch," Snyder continued. "I told him we were considering him as the next head coach, and asked if he wanted to move forward. Without hesitation he said 'absolutely,' and that's all I needed to hear."

Zorn began his NFL coaching career following nine years as a quarterbacks coach or offensive coordinator at Boise State, Utah State and the University of Minnesota. He joined the Seahawks in 1997 as an offensive assistant. The next season he moved to the Detroit Lions as quarterbacks coach, where he was instrumental in the development of rookie quarterback Charlie Batch. In his rookie season, Batch's 88.3 passer rating ranks as the fourth-highest rookie mark in NFL history.

Holmgren brought Zorn to the Seahawks as quarterbacks coach in 2001, where he coached current Seahawk quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, Trent Dilfer and Brock Huard.

Zorn, 54, and his wife Joy have four children: Rachel, Sarah, Danielle, and a son, Isaac. Rachel is married to Neal Mitchell, and they have a one-month old daughter Hollis Joy.

8. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Not a bad career arc - went from being a quarterbacks coach to an offensive coordinator to a head coach in three weeks or so

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just got off the phone with a good friend of mine who is a diehard Skins fan. The only reason I'm on the computer is because I had to doublecheck because I thought he was shitting me. He says he's turning all his Redskins stuff in tomorrow and looking for a new team.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

there aren't two tools i'd less rather have looking for an nfl coach than danny boy and vinny cerrato. dumb and dumber don't begin to be an appropriate moniker for those knuckleheads.

how the heck did danny boy make his fortune? it's beyond me. but what do know? i'm poor.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

If I remember right, he made his money by advertising. He was the one who came up with the idea to put ads in your dentist's office.

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Who will they hire next year, when Snyder gets tired of his latest toy?

Draft saved Draft deleted