1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redskins def. coord. no longer dealing with us

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Oct 8, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Redskins have a defensive coordinator? Since when?

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

How is reading a statement, then leaving the room making yourself available? This is a no-brainer.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A legitimate line of questioning under current conditions, given that Danny-Boy
    is swiftly shuffling into Al Davis territory.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That team has a shitload of problems, but the defense seriously betrayed the Skins in that loss to Detroit. There's no way it should have given up a 99-yard touchdown drive to a team that hadn't won in over a year.

If the league is going to mandate that coordinators be available, there's no way in hell they should have granted a waiver to the Redskins. Period.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Is it really NFL policy that coordinators talk to the media?

How do the Patriots get around it then? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe none of Belichick's coordinators have talked publicly since he got to New England.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Doesn't Belichick actually duct tape their mouths shut...now that guy's a media darling :)

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

One could argue that, based on the performance of all of New England's coordinators who go on to become head coaches, that Belichick IS the coordinator, offensive and defensive, as well.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wouldn't work. Not with that prick as an owner. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Fixed.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bill Parcells' SOP has always been assistants do not talk to the media. That included coordinators, as I recall (though if anyone else's memory is better, please feel free to correct me).

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think this situation is different. Many have speculated that Blache would take over if and when Zorn gets whacked. Having to answer questions about Zorn's future would therefore put him in a really awkward position. Simply in appearing, he'd be subject to accusations -- unfounded, of course -- that he was angling for a promotion. Those making the allegations wouldn't be reporters, who would know better. But it's still touchy, and I actually understand why the NFL approved the waiver.

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

This isn't true. Either Pees or McDaniels met with the media each week last year, and Pees has a weekly conference call this season, since no one officially has the title of offensive coordinator.

Draft saved Draft deleted