1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rediscovering Aussie Rules Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Aug 21, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Setanta is on Dish now? Is it on a semi-reasonable package?

Damn. This may be the tipping point for me to abandon cable. EPL and Gaelic Football... plus Aussie Rules.. I may never change the channel.

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

True fact: before the umpires in their white coats signal goal, the crowd shouts, "how big is it?"
    You have to be there to get it.
    And throughout a match, the umpires are called "white maggots."
    "Open your eyes, white maggot," is a typical chant.

Covering the Sydney Swans in the Grand Final was a career highlight.

3. gingerbread

Gary "God" Ablett's nephew Luke plays for the Swannies.

4. statrat

statrat Member

I pretty much geeked out when I saw DISH added Setanta, and my DVR is now filling up with matches. I may have to call DISH and thank them them for this.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I sit corrected. Being without my DirecTV for a month has clearly scrambled my brain.

And color me jealous on the Grand Final coverage.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Setanta is $14 a month on DirecTV and doesn't include any other channels. I can't justify the cost. I'll have to wait a couple days for my EPL matches.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sentanta is part of the sports package on Dish!?! I'm getting screwed out of $14 per month by being on DirecTV!!!

(I enjoy the Aussie footy and love the EPL matches, but I'm really getting it for the Gaelic games and rugby.)

8. gingerbread

No, you were also right. I'm pretty sure Gary's son -- maybe both sons -- plays for Geelong, also.
    I just know my Swannies :)

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I have the package with the low-rent Starz-ish/Encore movie channels plus all of the basic channels. Setanta comes with that package along with several other sports channels.

I love Dish Network.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Sure enough -- two sons, both Cats.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ablett%2C_Jr.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Ablett

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

In college, we used to get up in the middle of the night to watch the Grand Final on ESPN. I sighted my favorite sign ever held up by a fan at a sporting event one year, "OLIVIA POWER!", as Ms. Newton-John belted out the national anthem. Olivia power, indeed.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That needs to change. I've got the sports package and there's no reason that shouldn't be included. Everything else is.

Can't justify $14 a month for one channel either. I see this getting changed in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted