1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redbox DVD rental

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Jun 24, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

Anyone try one of these things out? Seem to be in McDonald's and I've seen one in a Wal-Mart ... $1 for a DVD rental, get it until 9 p.m. the next day. Browsed quickly through part of the list and it had new movies in there. But are they watchable? Wondering how scratched up these things are gonna be.

Experiences with them? Because seems like well worth it rather than paying $3 or more per movie at the traditional store.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redbox

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's where my mom used to get movies each weekend until she started renting from Movie Gallery again.

It was pretty good the times she used it, though.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Now, I really want to see Ordinary People [/crossthreading] , but I'm guessing that won't be available in a kiosk at McDonalds.

I need to go back to Netflix.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The movie's are fine (in terms of there being no skips or flaws on the disc), but the selection is pretty much strictly new releases.

6. I like Redbox on the whole, but the downside is that you only end up renting one movie at a time. With the old five-days releases at Blockbuster/my hometown video store that went belly-up when Blockbuster moved in, I used to rent movies in groups of 3-4. It's not a smart financial move to do that with Redbox, however.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This is not true, at least where I use the Redbox. You can get more than 1 at a time, but here's the biggest problem with it: If you rent something and then forget to bring it back, it ends up being a dollar plus tax every day, so if you did like I did and keep out a movie for a week after watching it, it turns into an 8-dollar rental.
    I want to try Netflix... is that a better service?

8. finishthehat

I think you meant to quote More Hideous. You can get more than one at a time at Redbox, at least all the ones I've seen.

Netflix is fine as long as you keep watching the movies and sending them back. If you let them sit around being unseen, you're screwing yourself.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Netflix does take a level of commitment to keep the titles churning if you're on a multi-DVD package (most subscribers do three at a time). I also ran afoul of the wife because I was in charge of the queue and after we knocked out about 30 or so flicks we had wanted to see for a long time, everything else was more my tastes than hers. So in turn she lost interest and said it wasn't worth the cash, while I'm sitting there thinking "damn, Cannonball Run was coming next!"

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's why I canceled last month. Even with the $9.99 one-at-a-time unlimited plan, it seems like I'm much more prone to watch a movie on DVR than DVD. Can't explain it, but I didn't watch the Netflix movies near as much as I did the "Bourne" movies or even something like "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" on DVR.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The frustration aspect of Netflix comes to full flower when:

(1) Example: You mail a movie back on Monday. They receive it Tuesday MORNING, but they don't get your next selection in the mail stream until Tuesday EVENING, so you lose an entire transit day.

My understanding is that they give timing preference to newer customers. Wouldn't doubt it, for an instant.

(2) A movie's on top of your list. They tell you it'll be on its way -- but THEN
    (when it's too late for you to change your mind) they tell you that it's not available out of your local distribution center, but they'll send it out to you THE NEXT DAY from (say, using one recent example) goddamn San Jose -- and you're on the East Coast. This happens all too often with relatively-esoteric material.

The urge to kill.

I still use them -- but.

12. finishthehat

It has to be said, the selection aspect is probably the best reason to use Netflix. No matter how obscure, if it's out on DVD they have it.

Draft saved Draft deleted