1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Sox fans can't take a joke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 17, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

photo of the kid with the autograph can be found here:
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1031894

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's a kid. Sure, maybe they're sophisticated enough to deal with the nuance, but it's still a kid.

A 10-year-old kid.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

wicked, yeah he's a kid, but I'm sure he hears far worse things at school every day. Maybe he would have been OK writing "Go Yankees!" instead.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A kid putting down a kid is one thing, an adult putting down a kid makes it seem like he's doing it just because he can.

I doubt there was any malice on Duncan's part, for what it's worth, it just wasn't the smartest thing in the world.

5. Yeah, I'm sorry you live with the Children of the Corn, but most 10 year olds I know would be pretty messed up about this.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Charge the parents with child abuse for raising a Red Sux fan.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I was in therapy for 7-years after reading "Yankees Suck" at the age of 10.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I seriously hope you forgot to use blue font

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But I don't think he's putting down the kid, he's putting down the Red Sox. Had Shelley called the kid "Masshole" or "pimple face" or "four eyes" -- whatever it might be -- that's one thing. But by writing "Red Sox suck," he's not saying anything about the kid personally. Red Sox, yes. Kid, no.

I hate the Yankees, too, but I just can't make the leap that Shelley made fun of the kid here.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What he said.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I don't think so, either.

But a 10-year-old doesn't know better. And what do you expect the parents to say?

It would've been better to keep it out of the papers, IMO.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I would expect the parents to be able to explain to their child what a joke is so that the kid can avoid becoming one.

Draft saved Draft deleted