1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red meat

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Saw this story while I was surfing around tonight:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/health/research/red-meat-linked-to-cancer-and-heart-disease.html

I've always thought that the red meat and heart disease/cancer link was simply because a lot of people who eat red meat tend to be overweight and out of shape, but sounds like they controlled for those things in this study.

As I get older, I want to become pretty vigilant about cancer patrol. Anyone dropped red meat from their diet? Anyone skeptical about this? Like I said, I always thought that lean cuts were good for you if you exercised in conjunction with eating them because of the high protein content. But might not be worth it.

2. I'm hosed. I eat red meat at least five to 10 times a week. Of course, I also fit into the fairly active and non-smoker categories, so maybe that balances it out.

I've had friends go without red meat recently, but I just enjoy a good steak far too much to consider giving it up.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I will never want to live that badly.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Nope. Cancer. You're fucked.

You can pry the chewy bacon from my pudgy, dead fingers.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

DAMN YOU.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You will pry my steak out of my dead motherfucking hands. Medium rare.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Your hands, or the steak?

Would human be white or red meat?

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

eh, don't worry about it. there will be another study in a couple months saying red meat helps you live to be 110 and salad will kill you in an instant

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I stopped eating most read meat and pork about a decade ago. Also, run about 35-40 miles a week. Don't drink hard liquor and moderate beer intakes. Nothing but fish, greens and pasta in the rest of my diet.

Why? Heavy rates of cancer, diabetes, liver failure and heart attacks in my family tree.

The result? I was still diagnosed with hypertension last year.

The conclusion? Eat the damn steak and down it with some rot-gut whiskey.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yet another reason why I gave up reading.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

http://www.theonion.com/articles/study-red-meat-takes-years-off-of-cows-life,27954/

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The wife and I pretty much gave up on red meat.

Now she is pregnant and, that shit has gone out the window. Steak night tonight baby!

Draft saved Draft deleted