1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recruiting stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mdpoppy, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You're probably right, but I don't see this as some sort of huge epidemic in sportswriting. I can't think of the last time I read such a quote from a parent in a recruiting story.

2. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw/basketball/men/276056

3. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Whether it's the recruit's AAU coach or parent, they're usually telling you what (positive) traits to expect when he arrives on campus. Why else would you cover the verbal commitment? He's not entering the NBA Draft.
    But I've also read plenty of balanced stories on a recruit, and you'll get that by asking some of the recruiting gurus out there.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Wow.

5. Taylee

Taylee Member

Our paper doesn't quote parents in a signing/commitment story. In these cases, parents have very little, if anything to add.
    I'll talk with the player, his coach or opposing players or coaches. Why is anyone looking to get a negative quote?

Draft saved Draft deleted