1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recording from a cell phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Apr 21, 2009.

1. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Wait, so it's illegal to record a phone call without permission, but law enforcement or someone working on their behalf is allowed to wear a wire?

Huh?

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Add my endorsement for the Radio Shack product. It's a life-saver, and small enough to carry in your pocket when you're away from home/office and expecting an important call.

My state is a one-party consent state. You should look up the laws in your state, though, to avoid trouble, and you should always notify the other party if you're recording for any reason other than simply for your own transcription (i.e. posting on the interwebs, etc.).

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm still amazed that for all of the million silly iPhone apps, there isn't one yet that records calls (that I've found). There are several that turn the phone into a recorder, but it's more for recorder a live person, not a phone call.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I MacGyvered my way around that, Bob. Took my white iPhone headphones, which I hated anyway, and sheared off one of the speakers. Got a mono male plug from Radio Shack and soldered it on. Now, when I do interviews, I plug that end into my Olympus, put the other earphone in my ear and plug the whole thing into the iPhone -- I get both ends of the conversation and go hands-free so I can still take notes. Best thing I ever did.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Good thing you didn't run out of time.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Where did you stick the chewing gum?

:D

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

finish -- I said McGuyvered, not McGrubered. :p
    Norm -- As always, I gave it to the cat, cuz it's hilarious watching him chew it and funnier still a day later when it comes out the other end. He blows stinky bubbles.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

C'mon, we all know duct tape was really the secret to McGyver's success. The dude could slap together a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier with two rolls.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Kind of a threadjack, but did anyone see that Mythbusters episode where they tried doing three or four different McGyver tricks to see if they worked?

I can't remember exactly, but I believe most failed (shocking, I know).

Worth checking out at some point, if nothing else...

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Hey, I got my little recorder ear-plug workaround thingie today from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TP-7-Telephone-Recording-Device/dp/B000GU88CQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240977287&sr=8-1

Somebody call my cell phone so I can take it for a test drive!

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My cell phone has a built-in recorder, but it beeps every 15 seconds. I think it's a federal law that recorders have to be identifiable.

12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Dude.....dirty!

Draft saved Draft deleted