1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recorders

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Apr 13, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

I have the Olympus ws-100s. I love it and you don't need any cords to download.

[​IMG]

2. michaelphillips

michaelphillips New Member

here's another vote for the ipod. you'll love having the archive of material.

3. I thought there was software available that will transcribe voice recordings onto a PC. I've been told AP reporters have this so they can plug their recorders in, walk away for a while and come back to transcribed interviews (although I'm sure they have to do a lot of cleaning up -- still beats transcribing by hand, though).
    Maybe I'm thinking about heaven.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

There are a number of voice-recognition/transcription softwares available. So, yes, you can "teach" your computer to transcribe your interviews. Trouble is, the programs don't work very well yet. Another couple of years, though - assuming the normal course of technological refinement - and we'll able to easily, flawlessly and automatically transcribe those long, in-depth interviews that no one reads anymore.

5. That's not what I wanted to hear. I want something inexpensive that works flawlessly that I can use right now! I have a 90-minute interview waiting to be transcribed and I certainly don't want to do it. ;D

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

That's what I have too, a great buy!

Since I also do radio, it's so handy for the Sports Wrap I do. After I am done with the paper, I can download the clips into the radio sports report and Viola!

Parents love it, they know that if I talk with their kid, not only do they get in the paper, they get on the radio too. Double the pleasure! LOL

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but trying to figure this out (as I sit in a press box and watch a guy next to me plug in an Olympus to his computer, wondering if I'm way behind the times)...you plug in the recorder and it can transcribe itself? Or is plugging the recorder to the computer via USB cable just a fancier way of putting earphones straight into the recorder?

Software would easily be worth a couple C-notes to me if it meant plugging in a recorder and coming back five minutes later to a (somewhat) clean transcript.

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

You can save audio to your computer, but your computer can't transcribe it. The software exists, but it doesn't work. It requires calibration to the voice of the person who is speaking. You might be able to get it to recognize 75-80 percent of what you say on a recording, but it won't be calibrated to the other person's voice.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Popular, yes, but I once had a teacher that tried to poison me with a recorder. I forgot mine at home, so got to use the school ones. She sprayed the mouth piece with something from a can that had a pic of an ant or roach. I told her she just used insecticide and I wasn't going to play. She sent me to the Principal's office for not wanting to play...I wonder what she's up to these days.

I have the Sony ICD -B300. Got it last year and am glad I did. I still have the microcassette as a backup, especially as I was learning how to use the digital. It took me a while to realize you could fastforward by holding down next button, instead of starting over each time. I love having chapters. With each player/coach I talk to I write down the chapter in my notebook, then start taking notes. It also allows for folders, though I don't use them, but could be helpful to have one for each HS or different teams at the same HS.

I also have the little black RadioShack phone thing. Glad I have it, especially when listening to conference calls or interviews that are one shot opps, like talking to opposing players from out of state colleges. One of the reasons I got my digital was because my tape recorder didn't have a mic hole, just headphones. I learned that the hard way after I thought I was recording a phone interview and all I heard when I listened to it was backround noise from our newsroom.

10. turnovers

turnovers Member

I save them because my recorder gets full and sometimes I'm too lazy to go through to pick and choose what files to erase to free up space. I'm a pack rat when it comes to taped interviews, I guess.

11. As far as recorders go, I use the Olympus VN-960PC as my primary and the Panasonic RR-QR160 as a backup. Remember that extra batteries are a must. Last week - after a month break from my beat - I walked down to do some post-game interviews to realize that both my primary and secondary recorders were dead.

Anyway, as an addition to the thread, I'd like to tell anybody with a Treo out there about CallRec, which allows one-button recording of phone conversations that can be saved to (on my 650) a SD card for downloading later. It's been helpful many times when I'm not at my desk or at home where I have no landline.

12. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Two things to be careful with a digital recorder. 1. If and when you put it in your pocket, make sure that it isn't recording the last 35 minutes of you walking and driving in your car. 2. Have fresh batteries. Those things can devour a couple AAA's very easily.

Draft saved Draft deleted