1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recorders

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Apr 13, 2007.

1. iPod or iPod Nano with a recorder attachment.

Works great. Hard to delete on accident. Jumps to the PC or MAC when you plug it in.

Does a good job and can be very compact and handy.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If you cover a Nick Saban team, you'd better save every interview somewhere. There will be days when you will need them. Don't scoff. I know what I'm talking about.

I called it my quote cellar. Many a time a guy who shares the beat with me would ask something like, "Do you have anything in a vintage blitz package quote?"

And there are all kinds of other advantages I'm too tired to list.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, you can always post interviews online ya know ...

4. fl2010

fl2010 New Member

I don't know why I never thought of using the headphone jack --> mic jack idea before. Just tried it and work. Wow, that's great.

I'll have to check on the phone thing too, as well as laws in FL.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

IPOD. Also, I keep every interview and archive it. That's after I transcribe it (only on my beat, not all subjects).

IT'S INVALUABLE. Type up your notes and keep them. The audio files are great when you need something about 6 months ago.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

OK, I have it narrowed down to the Olympus VN-3100PC and the iPod thingy. What will be the lucky item?

7. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

If you're expensing it, go with the ipod.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We may be talking about different gadgets, then. Mine has a pass-through connection for the phone line and mini-plugs for the recorder's microphone and headphone jacks, along with a two-position switch on the pass-through allowing me to choose between recording and playback. Theoretically, I could also play things back over the phone but I've never used that function.

9. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

That's the thing I was talking about originally. What didn't you get about it? Just curious if I explained something wrong.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Is there any way the file can transcribe itself?

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I think I saw one listed on Radio Shack or Best Buy's site. It comes with software and whatnot that you put on your computer, but odds are that is mangles half the stuff, especially if you're dealing with someone that doesn't have a great command of the English language.

And it probably shorts out when Mad Dog Russo attempts to use it.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Is this heaven?

No. It's a recorder that transcribes itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted