1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recorders

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That's a good backup I always use in case the recorder craps out...But for some reason I can't get it to download to my computer...maybe that works with Macs :)

2. They are popular with young kids learning to play an instrument.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And come in a variety of nice colors:

[​IMG]

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Watch out for the brown noise.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Made me laugh, as this Wiki entry also refers you to Brown Note Records:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I swear by the Olympus DS-2. Incredible machine - though expensive - and the software is even better (but what would I know? I lost mine.)

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I just picked me up one of these:

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I absolutely hate that shit. I had a damned 45-minute meeting. I tried to be smart and write down the time for the quote I wanted to pull later. But the thing counts down the time backward as it plays, which left me trying to do math in my head while holding down a damned button for four minutes. Then my finger accidentally presses too hard on the pause, which stops the recording completely.

9. HeinekenMan

My wife bought me the Radio Shack device for Christmas. I plugged it into my recorder and my phone. But I couldn't hear the sound on my phone. I fixed that by plugging in some earphones. But then I still couldn't talk to the person on the other end of the line. My understanding is that I need earphones with the mic.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I have an Olympus which can then plug right into a USB jack and thus get the audio on to my computer. Olympus (I think) makes another one (as I'm sure there are other models) with USB plugs so you can upload the info. Of course, if you want to edit it or whatever, you'll need something like Adobe Audition.

11. HeinekenMan

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I really can't imagine why I'd want to save many interviews on my computer.

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I do it for times when the coaches will start going off about "next season this, next season that, this is what workouts will be like in August," etc. and I just write down "1115-1448 - Offseason workouts." Then I can go back and listen to the file when August rolls around.

Draft saved Draft deleted