1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recorders

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Apr 13, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'm thinking about picking up a new digital recorder. Anyone have any suggestions? Plus, are there ones out there that you can download interviews on to your computer?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I have a standard digital recorder. No complaints, save for when I would tape for nine or 10 minutes, meaning that if I were to hit the wrong button, I would have to start from the top and fast forward to that spot again.

3. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

The digital ones are great, especially if you get one that allows you to set bookmarks while you're recording. Makes going back through it a lot easier.

If you get one with a mic port, you can buy a device at radio shack that lets you record phone interviews, if it's legal in your state. To put stuff on your computer, get a cord that can plug into the headphone jack on the recorder and the mic jack on the computer, then play the tape while you record on the computer, using whatever program you have. I've never done it, but a colleague has.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Huh? I have a Radio Shack gadget that plugs into the phone line and the recorder, but I have no frakkin' idea what you're talking about.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Plenty of digital records, the more expensive models, allow you to download the files onto your computer. All the ones I've seen mention a PC, but I don't know if there is any problem with Macs.

I have a basic Olympus model that works fine -- it has a button that will slow down the speed, which makes transcribing a lot easier.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I probably have one similar to John's...it's nice being able to download the files to my computer, where the program that comes with it allows me to sort them by name, date, etc.

The bookmark thing is nice, too.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I've been very happy with my Olympus DS-2. Stores a lot of information, downloads to your computer with a USB cable, and comes with software to organize the files you download. Seems pretty bulletproof, too.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

The Sony ICD-P320 has great sound pickup even outside and in loud gyms and has a ton of memory even on the high quality setting. It also comes with software to load the files on to your computer. I've never used that, though, so I don't know good it is.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Fucking savage.

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

i just bought an olympus digital recorder on amazon.com for like $43 dollars or about half the radioshack price. saw a lot of other good deals on amazon. the recorder is 1000 times better than my last one, which cost over $100 at fry's and didn't pick up sound well or have a lot of memory.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

GD neanderthal. BTW, I like your Geico commercials.

Draft saved Draft deleted