1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Record hate mail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by azom, Jul 3, 2007.

1. azom

azom Member

Just wondering what your record is for hate mail (or e-mails) received in a day. I got 21 today, all for the same column I wrote on an NFL quarterback. That set a new record for me. 8)

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

43 in two days. knew i was doing it when i wrote the column, but it had to be said.

3. 132 or so ... for a story I did on a controversial topic here in the South. The story was posted on a couple of hate group's message boards. About a dozen of the emails were death threats.

I spent about 2 hours responding to each one, with a special prize inside for the idiots who threatened my life ... mainly just pointing out their stupidity with blaming the messenger. Most apologized.

Good times, good times.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hate that you were writing about a quarterback in June/July, too. Make it 22.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

About 75 in a day...and it was in college, no less.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Well, I got one yesterday after writing an article about a world-class athlete who was in a coma, had brain surgery and is now on his way back to competition after a little more than a year.

dude writes to whine about how medicare/aid paid for all the treatment and how he was stuck with the (tax) bill for all these young punks who do extreme sports and get hurt. Nevermind the fact this athlete had insurance, it happened in Europe and it wasn't an 'extreme' sport any more than running a 10K is.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Can this include negative comments on a blog or comments on a story online?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let me guess. That hate mail was from Michael Moore?

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever had more than 30. Of course, that was after Alabama lost to Miss. State.

10. Back in the days before e-mail, I got 125 on one column.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Nope. It was Yawn.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I once had 22 e-mails and 11 phone calls saying I should be fired for not giving a proverbial blow job in a column to the local college football team.

Draft saved Draft deleted