1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Record for free throws missed in a prep game?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Went to the smallest school in our coverage area tonight to watch Big County High whoop up on Small Military High.

Small Military High lost by 19, but missed 26 free throws (made 14 of 40).

According to the Kentucky High School Athletic Association's online records PDF, a team must take at least 55 foul shots in a game to make the list for most single-game attempts. Of the 15 or so listed, 13 have makes and misses. None missed more than 16.

Didn't see it anywhere on NFHS.

Anyone know of any team to miss that many free throws in a game. One kid missed 10 by himself. Of Small Military's final 11 two-shot trips to the foul line, they made both shots only once.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Thats some terrible shooting from the charity strip. If its not a record it should be.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

A team I covered on Tuesday went 15-for-39. It lost by 11.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Now we know where Clemson is getting its recruits.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Girls varsity game, but the team I coach with went 10-30 in its season opener.

It would've been 10-31 if not for a lane violation, too.

I'm sure 26 missed FTs is close to a record, but you'd be surprised.

6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I covered a girls game once where the leading scorer was 5-for-24. I don't remember how bad the entire game was, but I am sure it approached 26 misses.

7. doctor x

doctor x Member

Just tonight I covered a game in which the local team shot 12 of 29 and lost in overtime.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I covered a girls team tonight that went 13-for-35 and lost by 28. But it was close until the fourth quarter. In the boys game, the losing team went 30-for-43 from the free-throw line. One kid shot 22 free throws.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In the boys' battle for first place I saw last night, the winning team shot 25% from the floor (14-of-56), but made 20-of-27 from the free-throw line. Go figure.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I once called a girls game that was 52-0 before the losing team got the ball across halfcourt.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Historically, my high school basketball team hasn't met a free throw they didn't like. Over the past week, they went 8-20 and 9-22 and lost close games. We're somewhere in the area of about 40% from the charity stripe over the last 25 years. As much as the coach preaches free throws, his teams can't hit shit down the stretch.

12. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I sat through a girls freshman game recently where the score was 10-0 after the first minute. Mercifully the better team's coach called off the press at that point.

Final was 62-10, which compares to the normal scores of 23-18 or so.

Coach of losing team now informs/requests the opposition ahead of time that there will be no need to press.

Draft saved Draft deleted