1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommendations on portable basketball hoops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

After having my old in-ground, rotting basketball hoop torn out, I am replacing it with a portable system. However, I am overwhelmed with choices for a new hoop. I'm look for something sturdy, but relatively painless to put together. At this point, I'll accept suggestions in any price range. Any suggetions? Thanks.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Curious, why not another in-ground? I'm really happy I went with in-ground at my house.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Mine is something like this:

[​IMG]

It's about 10 years old and it has held up pretty well. I filled the base with sand, but you can use water too, I think.

I'd give you mine, but the shipping cost might be prohibitive.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

We end up having family parties with some frequency, so we want something we can roll to another spot so the kids can play, and the usual court is filled with aunts and uncles.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I have a similar hoop. Mine is filled with a mix of water and antifreeze. It's about 15 years old and is going away after I drain the anti-freeze. Rusted badly and the time has come. The front rollers make it easy to move.

My neighbor has an in-ground Goalrilla. Those are nice for a fixed hoop.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted