1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommendations for new golf clubs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jack_Kerouac, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Golfers of SportsJournalists.com, I need your help! I'm ready to ditch my cheapo 17-year-old Spalding irons and buy some "real" clubs. I play to about a 20 handicap, so I'm looking for irons in the game-improvement category, not some skinny blades that a scratch golfer can use to work the ball. Please let me know which of these you think I should get, or recommend something else -- preferably with options for hybrids to replace the 3, 4 and 5 iron.

Adams Insight Tech a4os
    Callaway X-22
    Cobra S9
    Mizuno MX-950
    Tour Edge GeoMax

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

None of the above.

Get Ping G10s. And get fitted.

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I'm no equipment expert, but I have the older Adams hybrid set, and I love them. If you can afford something better you might want to go that route. I got a good deal on the Adams clubs, but I don't think they're too expenive, and I think they're a great value for a golf hack like myself.

4. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Unless you play 50-plus times a year, do not buy new clubs. Get fitted, then shop on eBay or Club Scout or a similar site and buy used.

A good new set of irons can be $750 or more, $1200 or so if you throw in woods, hybrids. The same set used will cost about 40 percent of that. They depreciate faster than cars.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Especially when you do the club throw.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you are ready to really pay, get fitted and a consultation from a pro, maybe at a few different places and make sure you are able to play at least a round with a set before making the outlay.
    If not, check out Play It Again Sports or scan Craig's List. This time of year there might be a lot of people who upgraded their set and are looking to unload a decent set at a good price.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Like Goldeaston said, I'm not sure you should really be ready to pay too much if you're a 20-handicap and not playing too often. Now, if you're going to get serious and play a ton (or if you just have a lot of money lying around), then that's a different story. Got my Adams Ideas (the originals) for less 300 bucks or so after the newer model came out. And I absolutely love them. I still suck, but they do help.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

For whatever it's worth, I love my graphite shafted Taylor Made RAC Irons.

They came out a few years ago now, so you might be able to get a good deal on them.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter which of those clubs you buy; get fitted and spend some money on lessons. (Yes, this is going to cost some $; improving your game the right way seldom is inexpensive.)

Buying clubs without getting fitted is like buying a pair of shoes and never looking to see what size they are.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

And remember there's a difference between getting fitted (recommended for anyone) and getting custom made (for the more serious). It's important to get a proper shaft length and lie for the clubs. As far as shaft weights and balance and grips and all that, only if you're really into it. And I would recommend knock offs. Cheaper.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

And whoever mentioned used clubs, it's a really good idea. My clubs are mostly a set I got new a LONG time ago, but my favorite is a Nicklaus metal 3-wood I got used. I rarely use my driver at all.

Of course as a golfer I do suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted