1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recent sports journalism ethics cases?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Computer Says No, Mar 24, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Only after it came out that she lied, IIRC, and I (as a sexual assault victim) was OK with that. If someone is going to accuse someone else of something as heinious as rape and it turns out you lied, there is NO reason to not print her (or his) name.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What about writing a paper on TBL's various and sundry ethical lapses?

3. The Duke case can also be a good example of how journalism is supposed to work. Largely because of the doggedness of one reporter, the Raleigh News & Observer's paper's Joe Neff, the whole house of cards came tumbling down. For a long time, Neff was the only reporter pressing the police and DA on the (lack of) evidence. Meanwhile, the Durham paper, along with a number of Raleigh and Durham columnists, had tried and convicted the lacrosse players.

And, no, I'm not Joe Neff.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Boxing and racing writers being flown to events by promoters.

A lot was made of this when a plane of one of the boxing promoters had to make an emergency landing a few years back and one of the writers on board worked for one of the Vegas papers (I think The Sun).

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A story from long ago, and I think it's chronicled in HBO's documentary on the ABA. Reporter's in Miami for a game. There's a knock on his door. It's a lady of the evening who says she has been sent by the home team's PR director, who was so pleased by the feature story that the guy wrote that he can have her services for the next hour, compliments of the Miami Floridians.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think I just found a topic (the Duke lax case) for my term paper in Comm Ethics this semester.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Man, that's really awkward. Would you tip her in that instance?

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

Naw... you just change your alias to "Client 10."

Draft saved Draft deleted