1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rece Davis to host GameDay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BDC99, Feb 5, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Part of me thinks this is a huge mistake on ESPN's part.

That said, Rece is pretty good. If I had to hazard a guess, that travel schedule last year (host Gameday, do the game that night) was probably a bear for Chris and Kirk. Hard to tell if Rece's contract was up, too.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, from the sound of it, ESPN didn't want to risk losing Davis, and Fowler doing tennis and the Sat night games put a wrench in things. To me, they're basically the same anchor. But it might take a bit of getting used to.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wondering, too, if this is in response to criticism of Fowler's play-by-play.

Songbird likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Davis wishes he could have done SSA.

I'm old. So is Fowler.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sporting News says he will remain on PBP for Saturday night games.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And it doesn't look like we've seen anything close to the last PBP call by Fowler.

Richard Deitsch: Chris Fowler to replace Brent Musburger on Saturday Night Football - College Football - SI.com

Two years ago Fowler told Richard Deitsch that his future was in live events, not studio hosting like GameDay:

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fowler isn't going anywhere. He signed a nine-year extension last year. He will still bore us with his vanilla PBP on tennis and Saturday night football, as well as a semifinal and college football title game. This was all about keeping Rece in-house. Plus, Fowler needs to work on his PBP and doing three hours of GameDay THEN doing the Saturday night game is just a bit too much. Still, this is a net loss for the viewer.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

AP says Fowler to remain on Saturday PBP, but Davis not doing Thursday games. Question is, will Herbstreit continue the Saturday grind? I would guess so.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I like the move. Davis isn't as good as Fowler, but he'll do a good job, and I like the idea of Fowler on the night game.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

GameDay was perfection with Fowler. Why mess it up. They should have never
    moved Musburger out. Herby has never had a problem doing Gameday and then traveling
    to do a game .

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Fowler has always been a favorite of mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted