1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rec softball gone too far

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kevin Morales, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

I saw this on Joesportsfan.com. One bad call and these guys just explode. Funny thing is, I bet this kind of thing happens everyday around the country.

I was covering a semipro baseball game earlier this year where the umps almost had to walk off. It wasn't as bad as this, but still pretty uncomfortable to watch.

It's like, take yourselves a little more seriously.

Part one:

Part two:

Part three:

My favorite quotes: "Welcome to county softball"

"George, don't get yourself arrested, cuz it ain't worth it"

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about Flash's married text stalker

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've been in some near brawls during old-man softball games, but I have never seen anything like that.

I especially loved the quote from the one guy who obviously plays in way too many leagues: "I have to go soon, I have to be in Albany for an 8:15 game. I don't have time for this shit."

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Ew.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You play softball with Nick Saban?

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Sadly, I've heard of much, much worse happening in church leagues in the States. No matter what level of the game, there are people who take it too seriously. However, I have found that the worse the ball is, the lower the level of understanding of the rules and, thus, the more prone people are to over-react.

My first reaction was 'why isn't the umpire tossing people' when the purple team wouldn't get out of his face. However, a little thought has led me to the idea that, considering the odds (10 purple guys, two umpires), they may have felt the situation was out of control and they were fully within their rights to leave the field.

The team in white should have left right away, taking the default win and going home, instead of standing around and letting the purple team try to decide what happens next.

Any good league director would have been at the championship series and declared the team in white the victor, based on the umpire's decision -- no matter what the call was on the play at one.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

...says the woman who goes spikes up into a base, every time...

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Nuh uh ... not even.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Anybody wearing baseball pants in rec league softball is automatically a douchebag of the highest order.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's better than those sick, tiny tight shorts the old dudes wear.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I played with one of those guys three summers ago. He had a barely broken-in glove, a hat like it was out of the Sandlot, with bright, white, baseball pants. He played right field, batted 10th, and we always had him bring the water for the team.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The old Bike coaches' shorts?

Draft saved Draft deleted