1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons for thanks, even in this business...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Nov 26, 2009.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Why? Because the higher-ups didn't come down on their holiday to hold his hand and stroke his ego because he was doing his job, a job that a lot of unemployed journalists would love to have?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I can't answer for Frederick, he certainly can do that all by himself, but there have been many times that I've worked on holidays and other important dates. Yes, I bitched. Yes, I did my job. Yes, I got paid. I realized that's what was more important. When you get to the checkout line at Wally World, the pretty girl ehind the registers says one thing "Cash or Credit?" I've always been partial to cash.
    Obviously, Fred has been through a lot this year and I'm sure you've read his posts on other threads.
    The guy was venting. I'd rather that he vents on these threads than inside a newsroom.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They have pretty cashiers at your Walmart? You live a charmed life, Drip.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Ace.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

all right...I love the Mary Tyler Moore Show (reruns via the web...fancast)

Anyway, I clicked randomly last night (Thanksgiving Night) and it was an episode where Mary was the only one forced to work at WJM on Christmas...all about how sad it was for her.

And in reality that happens more often in this biz...the news still has to get out.

Thankfully, at my shop the Managing Editor switched the work week up to allow us all to have Thursday AND Friday off ;D But that isn't always the case for us, and obviously can't be the case at some media outlets.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I said I was sorry for hijacking the thread. There was a time the higher ups did thank the peons for WORKING the holiday for them. They used to stop by with some food/snacks. It was a gracious gesture considering the higher ups are trusting us to put out their publication while they are partying.
    No raises in the past 2 years; furloughs, but yes it's a job and many would kill to have it, blah blah.
    If you can't accept my apology, sorry. I'm thankful for my kids, health and my paycheck, though they get plenty from me in return for that check. Time for leftovers I already worked today 8 hours and am done for the day.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fred,

Not everyone is partying when they aren't working.

Your life may be a roller coaster of hot tub orgies between grinding work days, but not everyone is partying the minute they get out of work.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Gotta work on Thanksgiving and no slap on the back for it? That situation is NOT unique to the newspaper business.

Suck it up, buttercup.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Geez, my apologies for starting this thread, I guess...

It really was one of the worst thread-jacks I've ever seen on here. Thanks, Fredrick. Much appreciation, from someone who has had to make a point of seeking out and focusing on the positives wherever I can find them during a very tough time in my life.

If I didn't do that, I'd have to be concerned for my own well-being and would probably end up being and sounding as miserable as you.

I don't know you, and you don't know me. But I am willing to bet that I have as much, and probably more, reason than you to sound as you do. But, you know what? No thanks.

Your constant vents, and your hatred of seemingly all things and all people in this business, are getting old, and really, pointless. Isn't there anything, or anyone, in your job life that you're glad to have, or know? If not, and things are so bad, maybe you should get out of your own accord.

I wasn't given that option, and, two years later, I am still doing what I can to fully recover. I still hope and work for that, and don't need the likes of you derailing any positive steps I take or the good attitude and outlook I choose to try to maintain, for both my own sake, and that of others.

I really thought this thread might bring out some good stuff about some good people -- yes, I believe there really are some, still -- and, you know, what could/would be so bad about that?

My apologies that that, obviously, didn't happen. Maybe somebody ought to just delete the whole thing.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Not in-laws, but I'll raise my hand anyway.

And I'd like to thank all of you here for providing wit, insight, and good friendship that continually make me aspire to be better.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If you can't understand my desire for this business to treat its employees better, I can't help you. I don't understand why so many people act as if we're being treated well when we are not. I'm glad all those sports editors treated you well. My argument is not with sports editors who are mostly good people. I apologized for the hijack, what more can I do except wish you well?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fredrick, working when the rest of the world is off is one of the basics of sports journalism. It's like complaining about airplane travel if you're a ballplayer. Comes with, and there's no point in noting it.
    I spent a Christmas when my children were very young in the Vero Beach Holiday Inn covering the Pats' practices for a Monday night game in Miami. It sucked, but those are the breaks. I was home for my kids on a lot of Tuesday afternoons when other dads were at the office, too.
    The newspaper business is run by scum, and through the process of natural selection, the scum is filtering further down the management chain. It's OK to be pissed about that. But working on Thanksgiving has nothing to do with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted