1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasonable expectations in college football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here it is a little more thought out:

Tier 1 - Consistently win 10 games, play in a BCS bowl and have won or played for a national title or an undefeated season in the last 25-30 years. Fans expect them to win conferences or contend for national title on a regular basis.

These are not in order.

1. Florida
    2. Alabama
    3. LSU
    4. Georgia
    5. Tennessee
    6. Auburn
    7. Texas
    8. Oklahoma
    9. Nebraska
    10. Florida State
    11. Miami
    12. Michigan
    13. Ohio State
    14. Penn State
    15. Oregon
    16. Southern Cal
    17. Notre Dame
    18. Boise State
    19. Virginia Tech

I tried really hard to find a 20th team. Couldn't justify moving another from Tier 2 to Tier 1.

Tier 2 - Has tradition. May have won or played for titles, but have been inconsistent at times. Fans expect 10 wins in most seasons, but 8-9 is usually more realistic. May be a program that was once great and is now down or a program that was once mediocre and is now becoming a more consistent winner.

1. Arkansas
    2. Ole Miss
    3. Mississippi State
    4. South Carolina
    5. Texas A&M
    6. Clemson
    7. Wisconsin
    8. Air Force
    9. Colorado
    10. Georgia Tech
    11. Kansas State
    12. Missouri
    13. Syracuse
    14. Pittsburgh
    15. Louisville
    16. West Virginia
    17. Iowa
    18. TCU
    19. BYU
    20. UCLA
    21. Texas Tech
    22. Washington
    23. Utah
    24. Boston College
    25. Michigan State
    26. Oklahoma State
    27. North Carolina
    28. North Carolina State
    29. Purdue
    30. Arizona

Near misses: Stanford, Cal, Arizona State, Kansas, Virginia, Oregon State, Maryland

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Virginia?

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Mizzou - I realize you're talking about expectations, not results. But UNC simply can't be in a tier ahead of UVa. There's just no way. This year's result aside, if there's a difference in the programs, the Heels need to be behind the Hoos.

I'd say the same thing about State, but they're Georgia north in the "unrealistic expectations" club.

4. Big Circus

If Kansas and Maryland are in that discussion, UVa has to be. I know those two programs went to BCS bowls, but I'll take a team that was a consistent 7-8 game winner until fairly recently over two bottom-feeders with fluke BCS appearances. (Sorry, Jake and other KU fans.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think Mizzou is giving Kansas, Virginia and Maryland too much credit, though I think KU and UVa have potential to be second-tier programs if they have the right coaches.

UNC is a weird situation, I don't see any reason why that can't be a very good program year after year. It might be the only place in the country where the fans expectations aren't high enough.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Virginia sucks, but there's pressure to win there.

Both NC schools do the whole, "No, we actually care about football." dance enough and make enough noise at times to make the list, albeit at the very bottom.

7. Big Circus

Again, I realize this is about expectations, not results. But I think you're vastly overstating the noise those teams make, especially Chapel Hill. I'm having a hard time thinking of a program that's been tabbed for greatness and fallen on its face more consistently in recent years.

8. JackReacher

Sure, there's pressure to win at U.Va., but since they rarely win.....

I'm interested to see what London can do from here on out, though.

9. Big Circus

Jake, I haven't followed KU nearly as closely as you have, so I'll defer to you on that. I actually think Maryland fits that description as well, with the caveat that despite a good 2010, I don't think Friedgen is the right coach to get MD there. He had a nice year, but it probably saved his job.

10. Big Circus

I wouldn't say they "rarely" win. The timeframe we're talking about on this thread is the last 25 years, right? UVa has had, off the top of my head, five losing seasons in that span (including, it must be said, the last three). They've been ranked No. 1 in the country and gone to the Sugar Bowl in that timeframe.

They've sucked out loud the last three years, to be sure. But they absolutely belong in that second tier. I'm not putting them in Tier 1. or even close. Nobody's putting them in a class with Virginia Tech anywhere but the NCAA directory.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

Fair enough. And to be even more fair, neither of us can be taken seriously on this topic.

:)

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I haven't followed Maryland closely enough to know, but from what I've seen the facilities there aren't anything close to what they have at Kansas and Virginia. Kansas is in a tricky situation because there isn't room for KU, K-State and Missouri to all be good at the same time. Missouri is on solid ground, but KU has a lot of built-in advantages over Kansas State, depending on who replaces Snyder the second time around. I think K-State is going to have a hard time finding somebody that rivals the success of Snyder unless it can convince Gary Patterson to come back.

Draft saved Draft deleted